Text in sidecar and alignment

12-15-2020 10:24 AM
Labels (1)
DavidRichard31
New Contributor III

Hi, 
We are using a lot the new Story maps envrionment to create different maps and documents. The thing I would like to suggest is this : Would it be possible to have more text editing tool for sidecar and other content in the ArcGIS story map builder? There are too much spaces between a single «enter» to make a space between text element. Also it would be nice to have the possibility to align / adjust text all around the builder. And maybe it would be nice to have the same adding content options for all the templates such as video, maps and picture in the sidecar's box as well for the map tour template
Thank you very much!

Ex : 

DavidRichard3_0-1608056504334.png

9 Comments
by Anonymous User

Additional rich text editing in StoryMaps just like we have for this forum would be very useful.

OwenGeo

@DavidRichard31 -- Thanks for posting this idea. I was hoping to get some more detail about what capabilities you'd like to see.

>Would it be possible to have more text editing tool for sidecar and other content in the ArcGIS story map builder? There are too much spaces between a single «enter» to make a space between text element.

In sidecar, you can create numbered or bulleted lists that have no space between lines. Would either of those work for your story?

Also it would be nice to have the possibility to align / adjust text all around the builder.

We are looking into this for a future release.

And maybe it would be nice to have the same adding content options for all the templates such as video, maps and picture in the sidecar's box as well for the map tour template

Can you clarify? Adding images, videos, and maps in the sidecar narrative panel is already possible. We currently have no plans to provide the ability to add visual media to the map tour panel since each location in a map tour already has media associated with it. If there was an ability to add media to the map tour panel, can you describe a few examples of how you would use this feature?

@Anonymous User 

> Additional rich text editing in StoryMaps just like we have for this forum would be very useful.

Which tools in particular would be most useful? 

OwenGeo
Status changed to: Needs Clarification

DavidRichard31

Hi Owen, 

Sorry for the delay. I meant more options in sidecar by, it would be nice to have all the possibilities regarding the text editing such as adding less spacing, formating, more choices than header-paragraph-etc. 

And also, adding images, videos and all other kind of document would be nice. It's already a nice version with a lot of nice features we like to use but improving text editing tools would help us but probably every storytellers around the world. 

Thank you for your good work! Looking forward to make more and more story maps!

Have a good day

by Anonymous User

Owen,

I agree that David's options are a priority.

Christian

OwenGeo

Hi Guys -- Sorry I'm still not clear on the specific tools you are asking for. Would you mind please providing some more detail?

I meant more options in sidecar by, it would be nice to have all the possibilities regarding the text editing such as adding less spacing, formating, more choices than header-paragraph-etc. 

I understand you are interested in having more formatting tools, but can you please share the specific tools that are of interest to you?

• What choices in addition to paragraph/heading?
  • What other formatting tools?
  • What type of spacing controls? (between lines, between paragraphs, horizontal/column spacing?)

For us to understand your needs, it's very helpful if you could provide information on how you would use these tools and how your stories would be better if they were available. For instance, how would you use the ability to have less spacing between lines? How would you use the formatting tools you're asking for?

> And also, adding images, videos and all other kind of document would be nice.

Can you please clarify this request? It is already possible to add images and videos as well as some small format embeds (like tweets) in a sidecar. There is limited space in the narrative panel, so it would be helpful to know what specific kinds of documents you are looking to add and how they would enhance your story so we can understand your requirements.

Thanks!

DavidRichard31

@OwenGeo @Anonymous User 

Hi gentlemen, 

@OwenGeo I meant, it would be very interesting for users to have more options and more flexibility in the sidecar. I forgot to mention it was for the map tour generator we can add in the map storyAs you'll see in the video, we can't do not much in the box. We cannot add images, video, items and modify the texte as easily as in the storymap builder. 
Its only an improvment i'm sure a lot would like to have to customize more and more there documents.
I'm working in a city and our citizens really like our storymap and we are looking to do a lot more!

If you need more details, feel free to ask. 

SaraFrankenfeld

I agree with this request - in particular, the inability to control the line spacing in the story map tour text is a huge drawback.  I really like this module, but the inability to control the line spacing makes me hesitate to use it every time.  I do not want every line of text to be double spaced!

NataliyaLys

@OwenGeo  I am running into the same issue as @DavidRichard31 @SaraFrankenfeld and @Anonymous User with the text formatting limitation in the guided map tours. 

It would be nice if there was an option to control spacing, add a list, add an image, etc., to the location description in the story map. 

Here is an example of what I am trying to achieve with formatting:

NataliyaLys_0-1633369863311.png

And this is what I actually get:

NataliyaLys_1-1633369933662.png

Thank you,

Nataliya