HTML and CSS code

02-03-2021 10:30 AM
Labels (1)
ToniEwton
New Contributor II

Classic Story Maps had the ability to add custom HTML code and set CSS styling. I use that feature for tables in the paragraph block with map actions that link to specific locations within a map. Please bring that feature into the new Story Maps. 

Tags (2)
28 Comments
Katie_Clark

Yes please! Being able to have that level of customization is extremely useful!!

MattiasEkström

I really need simple tables, but it's not possible right now. Custom html would solve that and a lot of other things.

DavidMaggio

I concur that the ability to add custom html / css to a text block in StoryMaps would be incredibly useful. At time of writing this post, my organization finds the current capability of the text boxes in StoryMaps too limited to transition our classic Map Journals (which utilize lots of custom html) to the new StoryMaps format. This including the lack of ability to add simple tables to a text box. ESRI has incorporated the ability to add custom html / css into several of its other products (HUB, Experience Builder), not to mention it being a feature in the Classic StoryMaps Map Journal. I feel this would be a logical improvement for future releases of StoryMaps to allow this product to keep up with the functionality of these other ESRI products.

MarcusOder

Looking at migrating 300+ MapJournal StoryMaps to some new AGOL app - thought new StoryMap would be the obvious fit but lack of text formatting options would mean downgrading the look and feel of our existing MapJournal items. Please consider adding HTML / Avenue or some sort of text sizing ability.

OwenGeo

@MarcusOder -- Thanks for weighing in on this idea! Could you share a bit more about the text sizing features you're interested in seeing in ArcGIS StoryMaps?

Currently there are two main, general use text sizes in the story: "regular" paragraphs and large paragraphs. Headings, subheadings, quotes, and captions are also different sizes, and serve specific purposes.

Are there other relative text sizes that you'd like to use in a story? If so, in what situations would they be useful? Do you have links to some of your classic stories you could share as examples?

One thing to note is that StoryMaps are dynamic web pages, so readers can use the browser zoom to increase/decrease the text size in any story as needed. We often see people use this technique when they use a StoryMap as a presentation tool.

by Anonymous User

Text size aside, the ability to build HTML tables within story maps would be a big benefit from a 508 compliance standpoint. Screen readers read these tables better than trying to explain it using alt-text. We do not have the capability to self-host these tables so to build them within story maps like we could with Journal would help.

Another area where this could help is creating linkable images. While not as widely beneficial as custom HTML tables it still would be a cool feature to aid in customization. Below are some links to other discussions either around HTML/CSS or have been mentioned. I know some of these have been implemented already, but just some more background.

Ability to edit source code and edit story actions? 

When is the next release after January? 

New Story Map template functionality 

Brian_Wilson

I need to be able to embed tracking code on a storymap used in our intranet. The whole thing has to be hosted internally. The whole thing: the app, the tracking code, everything.

We're running storymaps in Portal. I need to be able to customize the code to add the tracker.

Esri is outside our firewall.

Google Analytics is outside our firewall.

Those don't work for this application.

If you know how to do this please let me know. I need to add about 4 lines of script into an index.html.

OwenGeo

@Brian_Wilson -- Are you using a different analytics service other than Google or do you have a custom one built by your organization? We are looking to add support for additional analytics services in the future, so please let us know which one you are using so we can use that information to help prioritize our development activities.

Brian_Wilson

We have been using Matomo. https://matomo.org/

After setting it up for a given site, it gives you a small block of code that you embed into the page you want to track. 

bienor
by

In our case we would like to publish Storymaps embedded into our internet site and that requires more customization to styles and fonts than what we can achieve by themes, including the ability to use our custom font and Heap.io for tracking.