Extract Express Map data to a feature layer to use in other applications such as Web Map, StoryMap Tour, or extract data from an Express Map

02-13-2023 08:10 AM
Labels (3)
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

I would like to save the existing Express Map to an ArcGIS Web Map to experiment alternative StoryMap layouts such as a a Map Tour, or an Explorer or maybe a Sidecar.

In addition, I'd like to be able to possibly add or delete some plotted locations and information and remove plotted locations I don't want.  

@PeterKnoop provided me with an option that includes coding, listed below. Thank you, though I wish there was an easier way to export a layer without code 🙂

"ArcGIS API for Python to extract data from an Express Map, and turn it into a feature layer, which you could then use in a Web Map, Map Tour, etc.

If you are comfortable with Python and JSON, then it is fairly straightforward to figure out what information you want to pull from the Express Map, and then use it to create a Hosted Feature Layer (or to export it in another format.)

We provide this ArcGIS Online Notebook as a demo, which our users (with Python skills) can modify to fit their specific needs. It illustrates the basic task of extracting regular points (and the points' popup titles and descriptions, if present) from an Express Map, and publishing that data as a Hosted Feature Layer."

1 Comment
MylesMcManus

Worked for me, thank you very much for sharing. This saved me from having to redo some work.