External configuring of storymap popups

03-03-2020 11:39 AM
JanBenson1
Occasional Contributor

I tried creating one of the new storymaps, but stopped when the configuring required the layer attributes to hold the information for configuring popups.  With the series storymap (tab) design I could publish the basic layers and let someone else without GIS experience build the storymap.  For example, I publish the map, but the communications group configures it to meet their needs.  I don't have the content, nor do I have the needs defined for their use.  I can't know that as I am in different headspace.  This means I cannot use the new Esri storymap template.  I will going back to the classic map which is very unfortunate as I am retiring at the end of the year.  I wanted to show non-gis staff how they could make storymaps.  Unfortunately what I show them will be obsolete in a few years.  I find this new interface design feature a  serious failure in the new storymaps.  There needs to be a way to configure popups without being limited to the layer attributes.  Because urls can change, it is easier to edit a storymap than to change an attribute item and republish the layers.

Tags (1)
3 Comments
OwenGeo

Hi Jan -- Thanks for posting this idea and your feedback. Can you please provide a little more detail about the difference you are seeing in the use and configuration of web maps in the new ArcGIS StoryMaps compared to the classic templates? Many of same basic configuration options and workflows available in classic are also in the new builder.

• When authors add a map to a story using the new builder they have the same options to toggle layers on/off and update the extent of the map before it is placed in the story.
  • In both the classic templates and the new builder, pop-up configurations in the web map are used in the story. So nothing has changed with respect to pop-up workflows.

Please let me know if you are looking for something else.

JanBenson1

Hi Owen,

After I got into the trenches I realized that indeed you can configure

the same. It had been two years since the last story map as the government

shutdown last year resulting in too much lost time for a story map. Anyway

you can ignore my content as I had not dug deep enough.

Thanks again for your help!

Jan Benson

AFSC GIS Coordinator 206-526-4183(voice)

NOAA/NMFS/AFSC/OFIS 206-526-4118(FAX)

7600 Sand Point Way NE Seattle, WA 98115

jan.benson@noaa.gov

OwenGeo
Status changed to: Already Offered