Select to view content in your preferred language

Additional Heading Text Options in StoryMaps

04-28-2023 10:03 AM
Labels (1)
AimeeStephens
New Contributor III

I would like to see additonal heading level options in StoryMaps. I work for the US government and under Section 508 of the Rehabilitation Act, we are required to conform to WCAG 2.0 (https://www.w3.org/TR/WCAG20/) for accessibility. The WCAG Success Criteria that is difficult to meet because of the limited heading levels available is:

• 1.3.1 Info and Relationships: Information, structure, and relationships conveyed through presentation can be programmatically determined or are available in text. (Level A)

In plain language related to headings, 1.3.1 means that if it looks like a heading it should also be programmed as a heading and vice versa. With the current StoryMap setup, we are only allowed three heading levels (StoryMap title and the Heading and Subheading text options). If we need more headings to organize content, altering text to make it look like a heading would not pass this Success Criteria. Users of certain assistive technology would not be notified that it is a heading and would not get the structure and relationships that are portrayed visually.

Adding more heading levels would help us meet this criteria.

Thank you for your consideration.

4 Comments
OwenGeo
Status changed to: In Product Plan

Hi @AimeeStephens -- Thanks for sharing this feedback! We're planning to add one more heading level soon (in the next couple months). At that time you'll have the story title and then three heading levels within the story (4 total).

I moved this thread to the ideas forum since this is a request for a new feature.

ShanaCrosson2

I second this request! Glad to hear it is coming soon. 

AimeeStephens

That's great to hear @OwenGeo . Thank you!

OwenGeo
Status changed to: Implemented

A third heading level was added in May 2023. There are now four heading levels available within a story, including the story title. For more information, review the release notes:

Release notes—ArcGIS StoryMaps | Documentation