Feature service fields not displaying correctly?

Jump to solution
04-05-2018 09:38 PM
CoraColeman
New Contributor III

I had edited the field names for two layers and then shared them as hosted feature services. The names are correctly changed on the Data description page on my ArcGIS Online content page however when I reference the feature service in my app to display the attributes, the fields are unchanged? How could this be?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
CoraColeman
New Contributor III

So it looks like I have changed the Alias but the original name for the field cannot change  unless you create a new field with a new name and copy the old data to that field. 

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
8 Replies
shan_sarkar
Occasional Contributor III

Cora,

If you consume the same feature service in a web map in AGOL does it show the new updated field names?

~Shan

~Shan
0 Kudos
CoraColeman
New Contributor III

Yes they show up fine online, just not in the app when I reference the service feature tables I have hosted online. I am showing the attributes in a popup but for some reason the fields have not been updated; other things have been updated though, like the size of the symbols, so I'm unsure why the fields are not updated too? 

0 Kudos
RobertBorchert
Frequent Contributor III

It is most likely displaying the Alias.  Did you change the Alias as well

0 Kudos
CoraColeman
New Contributor III

I am unfamiliar with this concept, what is the Alias and how can I change it?

0 Kudos
shan_sarkar

Every field in any table has 2 types of names.

Field Name: - This is the actual name of the field which will be used for any query of conditional statements.

Alias Field Name:- This particular name is used primarily for displaying purpose.

Refer Understanding field properties, aliases, and table display options—Help | ArcGIS Desktop 

~Shan

~Shan
CoraColeman
New Contributor III

So it looks like I have changed the Alias but the original name for the field cannot change  unless you create a new field with a new name and copy the old data to that field. 

0 Kudos
shan_sarkar

Yes, that is the correct approach. You need to create a Add Field—Help | ArcGIS Desktop which fulfills your requirement and then Using the Calculate Field tool—Help | ArcGIS Desktop to populate the correct data in the new field.

You will have to restart the service so that the new field is visible in the service.

I hope this helps!

~Shan

~Shan
shan_sarkar

coracoleman14‌ if this resolved your issue, I'd suggest you to mark this as resolved.

~Shan
0 Kudos