Displaying LRS Route Hatch Marks and Labels on web map

Jump to solution
09-15-2022 10:13 PM
GraemeBrowning_Aurizon
Occasional Contributor II

I am using ArcGIS Roads and Highways with ArcGIS Pro 3.0.1 and ArcGIS Enterprise 11.

I am aware that I can Add the Linear Referencing capability to map services and that there are Roads and Highways JavaScript web developer samples.

I was hoping that when I added a feature service from my LRS Network into a web map that it might simply recognize it as such (perhaps by spotting that it has measures) and give me the opportunity to choose an option to configure the interval, marker symbol and text font to start displaying route hatch marks and labels along my LRS Routes.  However, this is not the case.

Is anybody already displaying route hatch marks and labels on their ArcGIS Roads and Highways (or Pipeline Referencing) web maps and, if so, how are you doing it?

As a workaround I have been able to include an already rendered layer of LRS Routes with hatch marks and labels in the ArcGIS Pro map that I publish from and then use the map service (rather than feature layers) in my web map but the result is not pretty because the ArcGIS Pro overposting environment appears not to be aware of hatch labels 

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
AyanPalit
Esri Regular Contributor

@GraemeBrowning_Aurizon Another helpful resource:

ArcGIS Pro symbology for the Civil 3D objects: working with LYRX files

Out of the box support for measures in web map has its limitations. I would agree with your approach on refining the hatch marks in ArcGIS Pro (using various techniques available) and publish the layers. 

Ayan Palit | Principal Consultant Esri

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
AyanPalit
Esri Regular Contributor

@GraemeBrowning_Aurizon Another helpful resource:

ArcGIS Pro symbology for the Civil 3D objects: working with LYRX files

Out of the box support for measures in web map has its limitations. I would agree with your approach on refining the hatch marks in ArcGIS Pro (using various techniques available) and publish the layers. 

0 Kudos
GraemeBrowning_Aurizon

Thanks @AyanPalit 

I've added my name to an ArcGIS Online Idea at Add Linear Referencing Support to ArcGIS Online - Esri Community to see if we can get more OOTB support for measures in web maps.

GraemeBrowning_Aurizon

Today, a month after @AyanPalit said "I would agree with your approach on refining the hatch marks in ArcGIS Pro (using various techniques available) and publish the layers", I spent some time experimenting with doing that and had reasonable (but not perfect) success.

Some key learnings for me were:

1. The layers in the ArcGIS Pro map which is to be shared as a web map need to have the Enterprise Geodatabase feature classes as their source, and not the feature services on the Portal that reached the same feature classes via a Data Store
  2. On the Share a Web Map pane, in the Select a Configuration section, choose Reference registered data: Exploratory
  3. If the name of the web map shared was Chainage Web Map (like mine) then to see the scale dependent labels and symbology working use the Portal's Content page to choose Open in Map Viewer for Chainage Web Map_MIL1 (which is a Map Image Layer), and NOT Chainage Web Map (which is a Web Map)
GraemeBrowning_Aurizon

@AyanPalit when I perform Share A Web Map above, I ignore three warnings from Analyze:

• For Chainage Web Map (which is a Web Map)
    • 24138 The pop-up definition for this layer includes measurement fields that are not supported online
  • For Chainage Web Map_MIL1 (which is a Map Image Layer)
    • 10001 Layer's data source has a different projection [GCS-GDA_1994] than the map's projection
    • 24143 LRS layers are present in the map, but the linear referencing capability isn't enabled

Warning 24138 does not worry me because I am using the Map Image Layer and not the Web Map.

Warning 10001 seems unavoidable because my data is in lat/long (datum GDA 1994, and very soon to be GDA 2020) and my map is in WGS 1984 Web Mercator (auxiliary sphere).

Warning 24143  seems unaddressable when sharing as a web map because I think I can only turn on the linear referencing capability when sharing individual web layers.

Do you think I should be unconcerned about ignoring all of the three warnings, or do you think that I need to (and can) address any of them before sharing my web map?

0 Kudos
AyanPalit
Esri Regular Contributor

I feel you are OK, if the goal is just to visualize and have the hatch marks as guides in your map. As mentioned previously, there are known limitations on support for measure and the warnings are expected.  

One way to show hatch marks for your linear referencing in web maps is to create points that represent the hatches for the web mapping.  The following python script was used by a DOT to "fake" the hatches with points.  The script uses in-memory datasets which I believe are not supported in the same way as they once were, and would likely need to be modified.

https://github.com/KDOTGIS/pydot/blob/master/HatchFake.py

GraemeBrowning_Aurizon

Thanks for sharing that workaround.  However, I'm working to try and replace an existing method that already creates point features where 3+ million hatch marks and labels are needed.  I don't have carriage over that method but it uses SQL and Query Layers to generate them in a batch process that runs each night.  Both that method (once generated; great cartography) and my Chainage Web Map_MIL1 web map (instantly available; cartography not quite as good since no overpost environment available) seem able to display from 10km to 1m chainages within a few seconds of an extent change.

0 Kudos