Select to view content in your preferred language

Simple way to get fields

Jump to solution
03-31-2023 09:23 AM
MichaelKohler
Occasional Contributor III

I'm trying to get a simple list of fields from an ArcGIS Online Hosted feature service.

When I paste the local service url into a web browser, I get back a JSON string that includes the fields.

https://***.*******.com/intgis3/rest/services/FCC/fcc_zones/MapServer/0/fields?f=json

when I tried the same thing with the AGOL hosted FeatureService, and included a token I got back this error {"error":{"code":400,"message":"Error: Feature (ID: fields) not found","details":["Unable to retrieve feature."]}}

I tried with POST and a simple webClient.DownloadString(). Once again that worked for my local service but not the AGOL service.

how can I get just a list of fields of hosted feature service?

I'm going to do a /query with fields="*" and manipulate that. But it sure would be easier if this worked in AGOL 

my local ArcGIS Server is 10.71

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
jcarlson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Hosted feature layers are FeatureServer items. Normally, a slash after the layer index is for returning information about a specific feature. For instance, FeatureServer/0/2 would give me the details for the feature with the objectid 2. So your URL is telling it to look for "fields" as an ID.

A call to /FeatureServer/0?f=json ought to return the same JSON string. I don't think there actually is a "/fields" URL.

- Josh Carlson
Kendall County GIS

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
jcarlson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Hosted feature layers are FeatureServer items. Normally, a slash after the layer index is for returning information about a specific feature. For instance, FeatureServer/0/2 would give me the details for the feature with the objectid 2. So your URL is telling it to look for "fields" as an ID.

A call to /FeatureServer/0?f=json ought to return the same JSON string. I don't think there actually is a "/fields" URL.

- Josh Carlson
Kendall County GIS
0 Kudos
MichaelKohler
Occasional Contributor III

Just as I had finished doing a query where 1=1 and parsing out the fields from that JSON, I see your response. It worked as expected.

This is the third time I got stuck trying to move from AGS 10.71 to AGOL. It just frustrated me that the /fields works in AGS and not AGOL.

Thank you for the timely response. Now I can call it a day and go play some golf!

0 Kudos