Select to view content in your preferred language

“Say number of desired item” Voice Control for Quick Capture

Jump to solution
04-28-2023 04:45 PM
DavidMurray_ODWC
Regular Contributor

In the interest of using the QuickCapture App While Driving a Vehicle, I have been trying to test the Voice Control for iOS option announced by ESRI last year.

The Basic Settings seem straightforward enough.  There's a Blog Post: ArcGIS QuickCapture voice control: A step by step guide for iOS.

ArcGIS QuickCapture is not designed to be fully operated using voice commands, although it supports the most common actions:

- Open ArcGIS QuickCapture: say “Open QuickCapture”

- Launch a project from the My Workspace page: say “Open {project name}”

- Push a button in your project: say “Tap {button label}”

However, the voice command "Tap {button label}" is in reality followed by text on the screen stating, “Say number of desired item,” and the numbers 1 and 2 surrounding a single button.

Supposedly, this specificity is for cases in which the text of {button label} occurs more than once:

On a text document where the word Geneva appears twice, saying “Select the word Geneva” will select the closest one, place a number next to each instance, and prompt you to “Say number of desired item,” responding immediately to your spoken response of “one” or “two.”  From https://bit.ly/3naIfCT

But the text of the button label only exists once. 

I did consider that the information being recorded by QuickCapture may also include the label text, but even changing that, “Say number of desired item" remains. 

Similarly, if you remove the text label and substitute an image, the issue is removed... as is any way of selecting the button by Voice Control.

If I want Field Staff to be able to say "Open QuickCapture..... Open Roadkill Survey..... Tap Deer," and a position for a deer carcass be recorded --all the while said staff member is driving and not looking at their phone-- then text on the screen asking which number they want is unhelpful.

Has anyone else run into this problem?  Did you find a solution?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JohnathanHasthorpe
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi @DavidMurray_ODWC 

Apple made changes to the way voice commands work from iOS 16 onwards. To continue to support voice comands in future versions of QuickCapture, we had to make some updates that were not backward compatible with iOS 14 and iOS 15.

In order to get the best user experience, users will need to use iOS 16 and above.

Thanks

John

View solution in original post

Tags (1)
3 Replies
JohnathanHasthorpe
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi David, This is not expected.

Can you share details of the device you are using (Model and OS version) and share the button labels you have in your project? I will try to replicate.

Thanks

John

0 Kudos
DavidMurray_ODWC
Regular Contributor

My agency uses iPhones.  ...Mine's a bit newer than some: iPhone 6s Plus; iOS c 15.7.5.

I took the "Debris Reporter" Template, and tried to edit it for a 'roadkill reporter.'

Button Labels:

SKUNK
RACCOON
OPOSSUM
COYOTE
BOBCAT
RED FOX
GREY FOX
BEAVER
BADGER
OTTER
DEER
TURKEY

The text being saved in the 'debris' field is the same as the button label. 
Altering the recorded text doesn't seem to make any difference.

RoadkillScreenshot_QC.PNG

0 Kudos
JohnathanHasthorpe
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi @DavidMurray_ODWC 

Apple made changes to the way voice commands work from iOS 16 onwards. To continue to support voice comands in future versions of QuickCapture, we had to make some updates that were not backward compatible with iOS 14 and iOS 15.

In order to get the best user experience, users will need to use iOS 16 and above.

Thanks

John

Tags (1)