Quick capture offline - keeping things synced

Jump to solution
09-17-2020 07:21 AM
MarkC1
by
Occasional Contributor

I'm aware that it's possible to use an offline map/basemap with Quickcapture by creating a MMPK file and selecting this as the map in QuickCapture Designer.

My use case is that I have a polygon feature layer and I am capturing point locations within different polygons using quick capture. I need the polygons visible on the map to aid navigation and to know which polygon I am in. The polygon feature layer is updated on a regular basis (daily) however.

I don't want to have to have to create a new MMPK file every time I add a new polygon to my feature layer. I need to be able to navigate in areas where mobile phone coverage is limited.

Is there a way to keep the feature layers in my offline map up to date?

Edit:

To update on the behavior I'm seeing:

1. Creating a MMPK using "Share" -> "Package" -> Mobile Map in Arcgis Pro

Using a MMPK created in this manner with QuickCapture results in only those features that were present in my feature layer at the time of making the MMPK are visible. Any features added after this won't be in the MMPK

2. Creating a MMPK using "Create Mobile Map Package" in Arcgis Pro and Checking "reference online content"

If the QuickCapture project is open and running the map stays visible which is an improvement on above. The features do remain up to date if I add a new feature to my polygon layer however if there is no internet connection before opening the project the map will not load so the project has to be opened while the device has a internet connection. Not ideal if the app crashes or is accidentally closed when there is no connectivity as it is impossible to reload the map then.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JohnathanHasthorpe
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Mark, yes the device needs to be online when the project map is opened for the first time, otherwise, you won't see the data coming from online layers. Once loaded, you can go offline and still view the data loaded from these online layers, but won't be able to get any updates. 

Cheers

John

View solution in original post

17 Replies
IsmaelChivite
Esri Notable Contributor

Hi. The workflow you describe is not supported at this moment. You would need to update the mobile map package and have users download it, which is unlikely practical given that the package changes daily.  This is an area where QuickCapture needs improvement. It would not hurt if you log an official Enhancement Request via Esri Technical Support and or ArcGIS Idea.Thanks for your question.

JohnathanHasthorpe
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Mark 

To add to this

We are planning to add support for offline areas. This means that you can link an associated map area to a project. In ArcGIS Online map areas can be configured to update on a daily basis and this would pick up any new features added to the included layers. The user of the app would see updates in the app so that they could download the updates if they are online.

Thanks

John

MarkC1
by
Occasional Contributor

Hi Johnathan, that sounds like it might be what I need. Any idea of when 1.8 will be released?

Edit

Just to clarify on my second point, this is only the case when the MMPK is made with hosted feature layers and when the "reference online content" option is checked in the Arcgis Pro geoprocessing tool. If I make a MMPK without checking "reference online content" then there is no problem opening this in QuickCapture when the device is offline. However this brings me back to my original problem in that the features in the MMPK won't be up to date from this point forward.

If it were possible to make the MMPK with "reference online content" and to be able to open this Quickcapture project while my device is offline that would be perfect.

0 Kudos
JohnathanHasthorpe
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Mark, 

We have added a fix for the issue you are seeing with MMPKs referencing online content. This is a wider issue affecting offline maps in general. This will be available in 1.7 that is due for release later this week. 

Thanks

John

MarkC1
by
Occasional Contributor

Excellent news! Thanks!

0 Kudos
PaulDoherty2
Occasional Contributor III

Jonathan - 

I’ve setup a QuickCapture Project so it points to a web map that has offline areas, but I’m not seeing them anywhere in the app. When I go offline it shows the grey placeholder map (not a map). Has this been implemented yet or is it delayed? I saw something about “map areas” in the json but didn’t want to mess with it since I couldn’t find any doc.

I look forward to this capability!!!

0 Kudos
MarkC1
by
Occasional Contributor

Hi @JohnathanHasthorpe . Does Quickcapture now support webmap areas? Was this ever implemented? I've been checking to see but haven't been able to get it to work.

0 Kudos
JohnathanHasthorpe
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Mark, support for offline areas has not yet been added. We need to overcome some technical issues before doing so.

MarkC1
by
Occasional Contributor

Ok thanks for the update.

0 Kudos