Quick capture offline - keeping things synced

Jump to solution
09-17-2020 07:21 AM
MarkC1
by
Occasional Contributor

I'm aware that it's possible to use an offline map/basemap with Quickcapture by creating a MMPK file and selecting this as the map in QuickCapture Designer.

My use case is that I have a polygon feature layer and I am capturing point locations within different polygons using quick capture. I need the polygons visible on the map to aid navigation and to know which polygon I am in. The polygon feature layer is updated on a regular basis (daily) however.

I don't want to have to have to create a new MMPK file every time I add a new polygon to my feature layer. I need to be able to navigate in areas where mobile phone coverage is limited.

Is there a way to keep the feature layers in my offline map up to date?

Edit:

To update on the behavior I'm seeing:

1. Creating a MMPK using "Share" -> "Package" -> Mobile Map in Arcgis Pro

Using a MMPK created in this manner with QuickCapture results in only those features that were present in my feature layer at the time of making the MMPK are visible. Any features added after this won't be in the MMPK

2. Creating a MMPK using "Create Mobile Map Package" in Arcgis Pro and Checking "reference online content"

If the QuickCapture project is open and running the map stays visible which is an improvement on above. The features do remain up to date if I add a new feature to my polygon layer however if there is no internet connection before opening the project the map will not load so the project has to be opened while the device has a internet connection. Not ideal if the app crashes or is accidentally closed when there is no connectivity as it is impossible to reload the map then.

0 Kudos
17 Replies
Shashibhushan
New Contributor II

@JohnathanHasthorpe 

Hi Johnathan, Is there a visible timeline to support offline area in QuikCapture? We are in a trial phase of the project to implement the daily inspection activity by 300 plsus users and it requires offline areas. All our users will be in remote areas and without offline areas, we can't implement QuickCapture.

https://doc.arcgis.com/en/arcgis-online/manage-data/take-maps-offline.htm

In the above page "Take web maps offline", QuickCapture is not yet listed.

JohnathanHasthorpe
Esri Regular Contributor

You can try the fix here: Welcome to our Customer Validation site Build 1.7.44 

0 Kudos
MarkC1
by
Occasional Contributor

I just tried this now and the map now opens when the device is offline. However there are no features present which I assume is expected behaviour?

0 Kudos
JohnathanHasthorpe
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Mark, yes the device needs to be online when the project map is opened for the first time, otherwise, you won't see the data coming from online layers. Once loaded, you can go offline and still view the data loaded from these online layers, but won't be able to get any updates. 

Cheers

John

MarkC1
by
Occasional Contributor

Ok, thanks for the clarification.

0 Kudos
rescuemap
New Contributor III

@JohnathanHasthorpe is there updated documentation on these workflows? The product page is severely lacking on detail on what is / not possible. Seems like this is a very very common requirement but not good instructions as to what is not "pretty beta"

EricaNova
Occasional Contributor

Is there a page somewhere that describes the offline capability of Quick Capture and how to set it up? I'm following advice from the page "create mobile map package" to create an .mmpk for offline use of my Quick Capture project, but it seems quite buggy and lately, I can't see my basemap when I'm in offline mode. I wonder if the few times I've been able to see my map have just been because I've panned around in my map when online and a view of the map remains when offline. 

I've spoken to ESRI support and they've told me the following, which matches my experience but  might contradict your response earlier in this thread (users should be able to see previously collected data when offline).

.tpkx, .vtpk or .mmpk with the "reference online content" box unchecked 

• When online or offline, you will be able to see the basemap you created with the correct symbology. If the hosted feature layer that is being collected on in this project is included in this package, the points that were present at package creation will be in the correct symbology you set up. 
  • New points collected while offline in the app will be in the default symbology (that you did not set up).
  • Once back online, the newly collected points will send and will disappear. Only points that were present in Pro when the package was created will be visible. The newly-collected points will not be visible. The package is like a snapshot in time and would need to be re-created with the updated points if you wanted to see those in the map in the app. 

An .mmpk with the "reference online content" box checked 

• If the hosted feature layer that is being collected on in this project was included in the package when it was created, when using the app offline, you will not be able to see the points (neither those that were present when the package was created, nor the newly-collected points). The documentation you had sent me in your previous email specifically says that this is "for use on devices connected to the internet". 
  • When online, you will be able to see the points present when the package was created, and they will be in the correct symbology. Newly collected points will appear in the default symbology. Once the points are sent, you will need to click out of the project, return to your workspace, and return to the project to see the newly added points on the map (in the correct symbology). 
  • So this is the only option for the updated data to appear in the QuickCapture map without re-creating the package, but it only works while online. While offline, you won't see any points for the hosted feature layer at all, not even the ones that were there when you created the package. 

@JohnathanHasthorpe I know you mentioned trying the beta version of the software but I need to be able to provide this to staff so I think I'm only going to work with the current stable build.

0 Kudos