Portal Registered in AGOL- Token Error

Jump to solution
07-24-2019 09:24 AM
Amanda__Huber
MVP Regular Contributor

When working in Quick Capture with Portal Registered AGOL services the builder throws a token error.

Will quick capture support Portal Registered services in AGOL in the near future?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JohnathanHasthorpe
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Brian - please take a look at the following: Problem: The option to store credentials is not available when adding secured services in ArcGIS Onl...  There are a number of conditions that must be met if you are to be able to store credentials for a service. The main one being that the service is accessible from outside your firewall.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
IsmaelChivite
Esri Notable Contributor

Hi Amanda. I gave this a quick test and it worked OK for me.

Can you access your registered feature layer in a web map in ArcGIS Online?  This will tell us whether it is an issue specific to QuickCapture or if the ArcGIS Online organization is having trouble reaching back to your Portal organization to authenticate.

If you can access your feature layer from a web map in ArcGIS Online correctly, then we will need to setup a screen-sharing session to diagnose the problem.  Please  email quickCapture@esri.com with your contact details and a reference to this conversation so we can arrange the session.

Amanda__Huber
MVP Regular Contributor

Hi Ismael Chivite

Yes I am able to access our registered feature layer throughout all our web maps, apps, and dashboards with no issue. When testing Quick Capture with other registered feature layers we found the same behavior, therefore leading us to believe this is an issue with Quick Capture. 

I will contact the above email to coordinate a screen-share time. 

Thanks so much. 

0 Kudos
JohnathanHasthorpe
Esri Regular Contributor

The issue resulted from the way the unfederated service was configured. The server service was unsecured, and when the designer tried to access it using the same token it used to access the online item, it failed. Essentially, server does not like getting a token when accessing a service has not been secured.

The workaround is to secure the service using token-based security and then add it to an online item, making sure that the credentials are saved into the item. This means that the item will act as a proxy, and allow the online token to provide access to the server service. See the following: https://doc.arcgis.com/en/arcgis-online/reference/arcgis-server-services.htm#ESRI_SECTION1_FEB0DF92D... for more info.

If you don’t want to secure the original public service, you can always create a new server service that points to the same data instead.

0 Kudos
BrianBulla
Occasional Contributor III

Hi Johnathan,

Sorry for all the questions today, but you seem to be a contact on all of the ones I have questions for.

In the article you link to above, it talks about this:

How is this done?  In "My Content", I do not see a way to set this?  When I added the service, it did ask me for the Username/Password, and each time I access it through AGOL it asks me for it, but I do not see a setting anywhere to 'store' the information.  Maybe this is why I am having problems??

0 Kudos
JohnathanHasthorpe
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Brian - please take a look at the following: Problem: The option to store credentials is not available when adding secured services in ArcGIS Onl...  There are a number of conditions that must be met if you are to be able to store credentials for a service. The main one being that the service is accessible from outside your firewall.

0 Kudos