How to add editable Feature Service to Quick Capture

Jump to solution
09-23-2019 08:34 AM
BrianBulla
Occasional Contributor III

Hi,

I'm trying to add a Feature Service URL to my ArcGIS Online account so I can then add it to a QuickCapture project.  When I add it to ArcGIS Online it shows up as a "Feature Layer", but whenever I click on it in the QuickCapture Designer the interface asks me to Login to QuickCapture again, and then brings me back to the start of the process.

Here are some images to help explain:

1.  This shows all my available services.  I want to use the one with the red arrow.

2.  Once I click on the desired service it brings me back to a login screen (even though I am already logged in):

3.  It then brings me back to the start:

Any ideas as to what is happening??

Other Feature Services seem to be working fine, but the one I need it to work with isn't.  This particular Feature Service works if I bring it into ArcGIS Pro, or an ArcGIS Online map (for use in Collector).  I just cannot get it to work in QuickConnect.

Thanks,

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JohnathanHasthorpe
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Brian

Only supporting secured services is a limitation of the designer. It will only work if the service is secured using token-based security, and added to an item with credentials are saved. 

The following resource is useful in terms of outlining the requirements for setting the item up:

Problem: The option to store credentials is not available when adding secured services in ArcGIS Onl... 

The easiest option to get your services working in the designer, is to make sure that your server and portal are federated. But you would need to upgrade to a later Enterprise version to do this.

Thanks

John

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
IsmaelChivite
Esri Notable Contributor

Hi. Thanks for reporting this. Can you provide the following details for your feature service?

• What is the version of ArcGIS Server you are using?
  • Is your feature service publicly shared or private? If private:
    • Are you using a web adaptor configured with IWA?
    • Are you embedding user credentials as part of your ArcGIS Online item?
  • Is your feature service behind the firewall, or can you access it over the internet.
0 Kudos
BrianBulla

Hi Ismael Chivite‌,

We are using ArcGIS Server 10.4.1.  The Feature Service is public, but sitting behind our firewall.  

Let me know if you need any other details, or if there is anything you would like me to try.

Thanks,

0 Kudos
JohnathanHasthorpe
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Brian

As the server service is unsecured, when the designer tries to access it using the same token used to access the online item, it will fail. Essentially, ArcGIS server does not like getting a token when it does not need one.

The workaround is to secure the service using token-based security and then add it to an online item, making sure that the credentials for the service are saved into the item. This means that the item will act as a proxy and allow the online token to provide access to the server service. If you don’t want to secure the original public service, you can always create a new service that points to the same data and secure this one.

See the following: https://doc.arcgis.com/en/arcgis-online/reference/arcgis-server-services.htm#ESRI_SECTION1_FEB0DF92D...

Please test this out if possible and let us know how you get on.

Thanks

John

0 Kudos
BrianBulla

Hi John,

Actually, that is originally how we had the service set up; secured.  But it wasn't working that way so we decided to take off the security, but it still isn't working.

With the secured service, I could add it as content in ArcGIS Online, but in the QuickConnect designer the same thing would happen as detailed above;  It asks me for a username/password and then brings me back to the "My Projects" screen.

0 Kudos
JohnathanHasthorpe
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Brian

Only supporting secured services is a limitation of the designer. It will only work if the service is secured using token-based security, and added to an item with credentials are saved. 

The following resource is useful in terms of outlining the requirements for setting the item up:

Problem: The option to store credentials is not available when adding secured services in ArcGIS Onl... 

The easiest option to get your services working in the designer, is to make sure that your server and portal are federated. But you would need to upgrade to a later Enterprise version to do this.

Thanks

John

0 Kudos