Select to view content in your preferred language

Downloading/accessing photos submitted with QuickCapture with full metadata and coordinates

06-04-2024 11:19 AM
Labels (1)
Embeez
by
New Contributor III

Despite various efforts in the community to get some movement on the topic of QuickCapture and the device's photo library over the last 2 years, there is unfortunately still no sign of any progress.

https://community.esri.com/t5/arcgis-quickcapture-ideas/add-option-parameter-to-save-photos-taken-in...  
https://community.esri.com/t5/arcgis-quickcapture-ideas/attach-photos-from-photos-on-phone-in-quickc... 
https://community.esri.com/t5/arcgis-quickcapture-ideas/save-photos-to-device/idi-p/1314750 

This leads on to the next problem - the users want access to the photos they have submitted but they want the full metadata and coordinates from the photo they submitted. At the moment, if you download those submitted photos - e.g.from an Instant App such as Attachment Viewer, you get nothing from the original - no date, no coordinates, no nothing.

My questions:

1. Is there by any chance progress on this topic with photo library access on the Esri QuickCapture roadmap?
  2. If Esri aren't going to fix this sometime soon, is there any way I can satisfy my disgruntled users' requirement to have the photos/videos submitted in QC available with the original metadata? 
  3. Surely other organisations face similar issues? 

Thanks 

0 Kudos
4 Replies
JohnathanHasthorpe
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi @Embeez - What do you mean by full metadata and coordinates and how are you viewing it?

QuickCapture writes EXIF metatdata to the photo. This includes lat, long and date time. If you view the file details on Windows, you can see this on the details tab.

In terms of support for writing to the camera roll, we are unable to do this with the current version on the mobile application due to a limitation of the framework that is used.

QuickCapture is being re-written from the ground up, and we will look to support this in the new version.

Thanks

John

Embeez
by
New Contributor III

Hi John,

Thanks for replying and sharing some useful info re QC.

Standard access for staff in the field is by using the download function in the Attachment Viewer instant app. I also tried downloading from the feature service. In neither case am I getting an EXIF data. If you can give me a workflow where I can get the full details and ideally make them accessible to our staff if the download the data, it would be a great help. We currently have staff deployed on a rapid response mission to Armenia.

Good to know about the plans for QuickCapture. What kind of timescale are we looking at?

Embeez

0 Kudos
JohnathanHasthorpe
Esri Regular Contributor

Could you share an example photo with me and confirm the device that you are using?

Please email QuickCapture@esri.com and we could arrange a call.

Thanks

John

0 Kudos
Embeez
by
New Contributor III

Thanks - have done so.
I forgot to mention the device - there are several different mobile phones used to capture data by our team. The effect is consistent no matter which user's photos I check.

0 Kudos