(Implemented) QuickCapture - Support Arcade Expressions

06-25-2021 08:19 AM
Amanda__Huber
MVP Regular Contributor

Hello QuickCapture Team, 

There are times when information needs to be passed to QuickCapture buttons through the "Project User Input" tool but the attributes may not exist in the data (need to be calculated or added on the fly). 

Please consider adding Arcade expressions to this tool to enhance it's functionality and capabilities. 

Thank you, 

Amanda

14 Comments
Mandy_Li
Status changed to: Needs Clarification

Hi Amanda,

Where is the new calculated information submit to? Are you also expecting a new field to be created?  The QuickCapture app does not create new fields in feature service on data submission, a project user input needs to be applied to an existing field and the value will be passed into that field when the button is pressed. 

Amanda__Huber

@Mandy_Li , 
Thanks for the quick response!

We're not expecting new fields to be made at all. We're looking for attributes to be written to the existing fields in the exact method you suggested through Arcade functions.

Since Arcade can calculate or manipulate attributes on the fly, these resulting attributes would populate the data through the Project User Input. 

Mandy_Li

Thank you very much for the clarifications! @Amanda__Huber 

Mandy_Li
Status changed to: Under Consideration

JohnathanHasthorpe
Status changed to: Needs Clarification

DavidReevesAEC

I'd like to add clarification @JohnathanHasthorpe 

This would really help with floor-aware asset collection for use in the new Map Viewer and ArcGIS Indoors. 

In the latest release of ArcGIS Online and ArcGIS Field Maps, users are able to use an Arcade expression in a form calculation to populate additional attribute values. Arcade FeatureSet functions are available too, so you can query other layers or tables in the map to aid in the form calculation. Unlike attribute rule calculations, you can access layers outside the current service.

I am using Arcade in Field Maps to calculate all the necessary attributes for floor-aware (ArcGIS Indoors) asset collection in Field Maps, but it would be easier in Quick Capture. In order for a feature to be floor-aware, it has to have at least a LEVEL_ID attribute which can be calculated from other layers in the map with Arcade and FeatureSets. The level depends on location, a default attribute value (what floor are you on), and Arcade to figure out the exact level_id (floor) out of many total floors for a campus. There are additional site_id, facility_id, and unit_id fields to be calculated. 

I have it working in ArcGIS Field Maps beta, but floor-aware asset collection could be done very easily in Quick Capture too. The asset collection experience would be more simple for the end user, too.  @IsmaelChivite I'd like to show this to you so that after the BIM models have been converted to Indoors, our users have an easy way to add floor-aware assets while on site. 

David
by Esri Contributor

tagging myself because I accidentally posted with some other GeoNET/Esri Community profile @David 

PierreloupDucroix

Hi,

I think that we need to be able to use Arcade expression in QuickCapture the same way we use it in FieldMaps :

- Create a virtual expression\expX field with the arcade builder

- Use it as an input for a feature service's field

- Access all Arcade functions (including FeatureSet with the @map option that refers to the webmap added in the QC project)

- Access device variables and project user input variables as well

This would really improve the app

Thanks

JohnathanHasthorpe
Status changed to: In Product Plan

suburbanMapper

Commenting here to add input and looking for an update if available.

We are currently implementing a QuickCapture solution. I am able to utilize Arcade Expressions in Attribute Rules to calculate fields. Limitation here is that the service is required to be published through Portal to support attribute rule functionality.

Being able to utilize Arcade within QuickCapture would allow us to implement the solution through AGOL. Which in this situation is more accessible by field personnel.

This is my current situation. Curious if others are doing the same and what kind of time line ESRI has put on incorporating Arcade into QuickCapture. @JohnathanHasthorpe