Access Photo Library for QuickCapture

06-01-2022 07:56 AM
Labels (1)
pjdohertygis
New Contributor III

Real-world Problem: Search and rescue is an inherently spatial problem and photos play a critical role in situational awareness. We would like our Urban Search and Rescue users to be able to add photos from their photo library in QuickCapture. They often need to use other type of cameras to take a photo (sUAS and "search cameras") and need to add these existing photos to their waypoint feature layer.

Specific Use Case: Every US&R Task Force in the US has a camera used for searching for survivors and victims in confined spaces such as building collapse. The FirstLook360 is a common model Agility Technologies Corp. | FirstLook360 (agilitycorp.com). They can can screenshot images off of their camera / device but right now cannot use QuickCapture to add the photos. For now I will have them use Survey123, but in a larger disaster it would be ideal to use QuickCapture.

PA-TF1 plans to do some testing with the FirstLook360 and Survey123 and may provide more feedback below.

Technical Problem: QuickCapture only allows you to take a new photo at time of capture, you cannot access the photo library.

Solution: Allow QuickCapture to access the photo library. This could be initiated with a small icon near the Done button so it does not interrupt someone taking a photo, they'd only have an extra click when accessing the library is needed. This could be a default behavior or you could allow the project author to turn this capability on and off (although we recognize this adds more complexity to the configuration).

pjdohertygis_0-1654095162057.png

This is already possible in Survey123 https://doc.arcgis.com/en/survey123/desktop/create-surveys/xlsformmedia.htm and we feel this could be added to QuickCapture without slowing down the data capture. Thank you for considering this Idea!

@Ismael @JohnHasthorpe 

1 Comment
Embeez
by

Thanks for posting this. I have wanted to do raise this for some time.
In the field of humanitarian emergency response this is a criticism we have come across often from staff returring from  field deployments. I sincerely hope it can be implemented soon.