Update TextBox on a form in a QueuedTask

Jump to solution
05-21-2021 10:32 AM
BrianBulla
Occasional Contributor III

Hi,

Is it possible to update Windows Form objects (ie. TextBox, ComboBox, etc) while in a QueuedTask?  I keep getting the "wrong thread" exception error.

What I am doing is working with a selected feature, to populate fields on a form.  Is there a recommended way of dealing with this?

Thanks,

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Wolf
by Esri Regular Contributor
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Brian,

You have to make any updates to the UI from the UI thread.   There is a sample utility function in this community sample called RunOnUIThread that allows you to switch threads and run an Action on the UI thread.  arcgis-pro-sdk-community-samples/BookmarkDockpaneViewModel.cs at 44183d0d5a9bc5da6fb8b9229211cc707dd...

Depending on your use case you can also use the Dispatcher class as shown here:

arcgis-pro-sdk-community-samples/Module1.cs at 44183d0d5a9bc5da6fb8b9229211cc707dd2b874 · Esri/arcgi...

You mentioned 'Windows Form' objects which would exclude the use of synchronization patterns that are exclusive to WPF like BindingOperations.EnableCollectionSynchronization

View solution in original post

2 Replies
Wolf
by Esri Regular Contributor
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Brian,

You have to make any updates to the UI from the UI thread.   There is a sample utility function in this community sample called RunOnUIThread that allows you to switch threads and run an Action on the UI thread.  arcgis-pro-sdk-community-samples/BookmarkDockpaneViewModel.cs at 44183d0d5a9bc5da6fb8b9229211cc707dd...

Depending on your use case you can also use the Dispatcher class as shown here:

arcgis-pro-sdk-community-samples/Module1.cs at 44183d0d5a9bc5da6fb8b9229211cc707dd2b874 · Esri/arcgi...

You mentioned 'Windows Form' objects which would exclude the use of synchronization patterns that are exclusive to WPF like BindingOperations.EnableCollectionSynchronization

BrianBulla
Occasional Contributor III

Thanks Wolfgang.  I'll check out those links.

0 Kudos