Loading Custom AddIns

07-19-2019 10:57 AM
BrianBulla
Occasional Contributor III

Hi,

It seems like ArcGIS Pro will load custom tools with the same UID from the folder path in the Add-In Manager before it loads the same tool from the AddIns folder in the 'Documents' folder in your user profile.  Is that correct?

ArcMap has always worked opposite of this.  Is there a setting that can be adjusted so that the custom tools in your AddIn folder take priority??

This is a problem, especially when making modifications to existing tools that may already be in use.  For example, I deploy all my tools to a network shared drive.  About 8 different Pro users connect to this folder path when they start ArcGIS Pro.  But when I (the developer) need to update a tool I need to test it first.  When VS finishes the 'Build' it places it in the AddIn folder, but when I start ArcGIS Pro the folder connection still exists and the same tool deployed there takes precedence over the tool I am trying to debug.

Make sense??

If you have any suggestions on how to deal with this, I'd appreciate it.  I know how to work around it, but it's a bit of a pain especially when you have tools on the folder path you need to use as you test the tool you are debugging.  I constantly have to adjust the folder I am connecting to in order to load up the tools I am looking to use/test.

Thanks,

0 Kudos
2 Replies
UmaHarano
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Brain

Check out this wiki page for some information on add-in loading schemes:

Add-in Loading Scheme

Another thing that you could use is the versioning scheme adopted by add-ins. This is also listed in the same wiki page.  The section below is an extract from the wiki page. You could increment your "developer add-in" to have a higher version, thus forcing Pro to load your add-in, instead of the one on the network share.

Extract from wiki regarding versioning:

version
version is the version of the add-in or configuration and is metadata provided to the add-in or configuration author for their own use. It should be edited by hand as necessary.

If multiple versions of the same Add-in are installed on the same machine (eg in different well-known folders) then the latest add-in version is the version that will be loaded regardless of the order in which the well-known folders and default user folder are processed. Version comparison is evaluated for Major.Minor.Build.Revision components.

For example:

Assuming no issues with desktopVersion: Two versions of an add-in are installed on a system. One DAML contains version=1.0.3. One DAML contains version=1.1.0.0. The version=1.1.0.0 of the add-in will be the version that loads.

Assuming no issues with desktopVersion: Two versions of an add-in are installed on a system. One DAML contains version=1.4. One DAML contains version=3.0. The version=3.0 of the add-in will be the version that loads.

Thanks

Uma

BrianBulla
Occasional Contributor III

Great....thanks!

0 Kudos