Is there a way to programmatically tell if a CIMParagraphTextGraphic word wrap the text outside of the boundaries of the polygon?

Jump to solution
07-20-2021 08:53 AM
JeremyWiles
New Contributor III

I hate to post questions, but I am stumped here. 

The CIMParagraphTextGraphic should have a way to tell whether or not the word wrapping made text go outside of the boundaries of the shape somehow.  Is there some object I am missing that can do this? 

In the layout, without using code, there it detects is there is not enough room, and shows this underneath it: [...].  Any thoughts on how I can detect that this happened?

Thank you

0 Kudos
2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
JeffBarrette
Esri Regular Contributor

Jeremy, have you tried Element.DoesFitFrame?

string text = "Some Text String that is really long and is forced to wrap to other lines so that we can see the effects. Some Text String that is really long and is forced to wrap to other lines so that we can see the effects." as String;
GraphicElement recTxtElm = LayoutElementFactory.Instance.CreateRectangleParagraphGraphicElement(layout, env, text, sym);
recTxtElm.SetName("New Rectangle Text");
TextElement txtElm = recTxtElm as TextElement;
while (!txtElm.DoesFitFrame)
{
var txtProp = txtElm.TextProperties;
txtProp.FontSize = txtProp.FontSize - 1;
txtElm.SetTextProperties(txtProp);
System.Windows.MessageBox.Show(txtProp.FontSize.ToString());
};

View solution in original post

JeremyWiles
New Contributor III

Thank you Jeff,

I can't believe I missed that before.

I do want to modify the original polygon instead of reducing the font size.  Same concept.

Much appreciated.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
JeffBarrette
Esri Regular Contributor

Jeremy, have you tried Element.DoesFitFrame?

string text = "Some Text String that is really long and is forced to wrap to other lines so that we can see the effects. Some Text String that is really long and is forced to wrap to other lines so that we can see the effects." as String;
GraphicElement recTxtElm = LayoutElementFactory.Instance.CreateRectangleParagraphGraphicElement(layout, env, text, sym);
recTxtElm.SetName("New Rectangle Text");
TextElement txtElm = recTxtElm as TextElement;
while (!txtElm.DoesFitFrame)
{
var txtProp = txtElm.TextProperties;
txtProp.FontSize = txtProp.FontSize - 1;
txtElm.SetTextProperties(txtProp);
System.Windows.MessageBox.Show(txtProp.FontSize.ToString());
};

JeremyWiles
New Contributor III

Thank you Jeff,

I can't believe I missed that before.

I do want to modify the original polygon instead of reducing the font size.  Same concept.

Much appreciated.

0 Kudos
JeffBarrette
Esri Regular Contributor

Jeremy,

We also have future plans to introduce a "fitting strategy" with polygon text (similar to legends).  The easiest and minimum ship optoin is:"Adjust font size" (with a minimum font size property).  We could also consider things like "adjust polygon width / height / or both" and growth would be  based on anchor position.

Jeff - Layout and arcpy.mp teams

0 Kudos
JeremyWiles
New Contributor III

It is funny you mention that.  I can do that now, to my surprise, if you are using the polygon text, it will not change the font size  I made a small add-in to test that since I could already do it inside of a layout.  I click a button to add the paragraph text, then a button to change the width.  The height, font size, etc., stay the same size.  Only difference is the bottom two points on the polygons need to stay at their original locations.

In ArcObjects, you could use ITransform2D.Scale to do the trick.  I am improvising.

0 Kudos
JeremyWiles
New Contributor III

That would actually be a lot better, using the anchor positions.  I drop text at equal intervals a lot.  If the the text size is too large, there is nothing that the will to change that.  It was a user setting.

0 Kudos