Select to view content in your preferred language

Extensions NuGet package not loading in VS 2022 XAML Designer

Jump to solution
12-21-2021 01:13 PM
StephenRhea_NV5
Occasional Contributor

The 32/64-bit issue between Visual Studio's XAML Designer and Pro SDK 2.8+ is well-documented, and it has been fixed in Visual Studio 2022, as long as the DLLs are referenced from disk. However, when I delete the on-machine references and add the 2.8 Extensions NuGet package, the XAML error shows up again, "Error: Could not load file or assembly 'ArcGIS.Desktop.Framework, Culture=neutral' or one of its dependencies. The system cannot find the file specified." A clean/rebuild doesn't make the error go away.

This leads to 2 questions:

1. Why would the on-machine references work in the XAML Designer, but NuGet package fail?
  2. Is Visual Studio 2022 supported by the Pro 2.x SDKs? I got really excited when the XAML Designer worked, so I'd like to keep using 2022. However, it isn't listed in any documentation, and the Visual Studio Extension Manager doesn't list anything when I search for "ArcGIS Pro SDK".

Thanks for any insights!

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
CharlesMacleod
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Stephen, you're welcome.

As currently there are no plans to support VS 2022 at 2.9

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
CharlesMacleod
Esri Regular Contributor

I dont have an answer for your #1. On #2, no the Pro SDK is not supported on 2022 at 2.9.

However, if u have an add-in previously created for 2019 there shouldnt be any problem editing/compiling/debugging it, etc in 2022. It's just that u wont be able to add additional items to it using the SDK item templates - new items would have to be added "by hand".

0 Kudos
StephenRhea_NV5
Occasional Contributor

Thanks, Charles. That's the exact process I went through; one of our add-ins is a couple years old, and I've been working in VS 2022 to take advantage of the 64-bit XAML Designer. I only got the on-machine references to work by removing the <Private>False</Private> attribute for each DLL in the csproj file, so VS must treat package-based DLLs differently behind the scenes. If anything jumps out at you, I'd love to know.

Are there any plans to support 2.X in VS 2022, or will 3.X+ be the only versions with 2022 support? Our clients aren't likely to adopt 3.X for a while, and being able to use the XAML Designer again has been extremely helpful to our process.

0 Kudos
CharlesMacleod
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Stephen, you're welcome.

As currently there are no plans to support VS 2022 at 2.9

0 Kudos