Workflow for Adress Geocoding Automation

Jump to solution
04-07-2022 11:32 AM
ttamba
by
New Contributor III

Hi,

I would like to create a workflow to automate a process that allows me on a regular basis to update the list of addresses to be geocoded from a CSV file available on a Google Drive by creating the location of points and updating the published feature layer in ArcGIS Online.

However, I would just like to keep the new addresses added in the CSV file when updating the hosted feature layer in ArcGIS Online.
Is there an easy and efficient way to accomplish this process from ArcGIS Pro using Model Builder or other methods?

Thanks for providing leads!

Best regards,

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
ABishop
MVP Regular Contributor

You're welcome!  I only aim to help and I of course understand not sharing data due to security.  Please keep me posted on the outcome!

Amanda Bishop, GISP

View solution in original post

4 Replies
ABishop
MVP Regular Contributor

This is absolutely possible to automate.  Although, I must admit I never used Google Drive to update a hosted feature layer in AGOL, there are options.

Since I'm not an expert programmer, I would use ModelBuilder.  The workflow would look something like this:

1. If it doesn't already exist, create a hosted feature layer with the addresses and necessary fields in ArcGIS Online.  

2. Download the .csv file from the Google Drive using "FeatureClassToFeatureClass" tool and for the input parameter use a URL link from the .csv file in Google Drive (only assuming this is possible because I never used Google Drive for this).  The output parameter for the tool would be a local file geodatabase.  Then run it and check your file to make sure it ran correctly and all the records match the source data.

3. Then you will use the "GeocodeFile" tool. The input table is your table from step #2, For the locator, I would create my own using local address points (this locator will also need to be rebuilt frequently to update the address points).  If you use the ArcGIS World Geocoding Service, you will use credits!  If you don't have a local locator, see this link on how to create one: https://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/2.8/help/data/geocoding/create-a-locator.htm , then the output type will be "Feature class" and the output Location, I would use the same local file geodatabase you used for the table, the output name is the name of the feature class.  Then run it.

4. Then you will use the "Append" tool to append the hosted feature layer in AGOL using the feature layer created in step #3.  

Models can be exported to python scripts and scheduled in Microsoft Task Scheduler.  Just make sure that whatever computer you are automating the script, you are signed in as the user, that you have ArcGIS Pro installed, and you are signed into AGOL.  Otherwise, it won't authenticate you and the script won't run.

Amanda Bishop, GISP
0 Kudos
ttamba
by
New Contributor III
Hi ABishop,
Thank you for your reply. Unfortunately to answer your first post, I am
unable to share the data, because they are confidential.

However, for your second post, the Google Sheet file shared by the
requesting department is in the Google Drive shared directory. But I can
create a CSV copy from Google Sheet if I can't read the Sheet format
directly in ArcGIS Pro. I have already created my address locator to
geocode addresses.

I have some limitations to share the data, because it is confidential. And
even created, I don't know how to share this with you because I use an AGOL
Organization account and you are not part of our organization.

Thank you for the detailed steps and explanations on your second post. I
will follow the steps and let you know.

Thank again for your precious help, it is much appreciated!

Kind regards,

##- S'il vous plait, écrivez votre réponse au-dessus de cette ligne -##

--
**AVERTISSEMENT** : Ce courriel et les pièces qui y sont jointes sont
destinés exclusivement au(x) destinataire(s) mentionné(s) ci-dessus et
peuvent contenir de l’information privilégiée ou confidentielle. Si vous
avez reçu ce courriel par erreur, ou s’il ne vous est pas destiné, veuillez
le mentionner immédiatement à l’expéditeur et effacer ce courriel ainsi que
les pièces jointes, le cas échéant. La copie ou la redistribution non
autorisée de ce courriel peut être illégale. Le contenu de ce courriel ne
peut être interprété qu’en conformité avec les lois et règlements qui
régissent les pouvoirs des diverses instances décisionnelles compétentes de
la Ville de Montréal.
ABishop
MVP Regular Contributor

You're welcome!  I only aim to help and I of course understand not sharing data due to security.  Please keep me posted on the outcome!

Amanda Bishop, GISP
ttamba
by
New Contributor III

Sure, I'll let you know as soon as I do my tests.

Regards,