Why is ArcGIS Pro so slow?

02-08-2019 09:57 AM
ClintonJenkins1
New Contributor II

I like ArcGIS Pro. It is clearly a step forward in many ways. But why is it so slow for what are very simple things that should be nearly instantaneous. For example, if I want to adjust the symbology of something, ever single step causes the program to whir and think for about ten seconds, even when the layer is turned off! What exactly does it have to think about when the layer is not even rendering?

Almost every action in the program seems to generate some unknown processing demand. I can understand if the map is updating or a tool is running, but it seems to be for everything. This really drags down productivity and leaves me frustrated. If it wasn´t for this, I´d probably start switching to Pro completely. With all these lags though, it is impossible.

None of the data are on the network. Windows 10 machine, 32GB ram, fast video card not even close to maxed out. Most data are on SSD drives. 

106 Replies
TroyBum72
Occasional Contributor

So - for 2.4x and 2.5x, there seemed to be some .NET updates that really cratered the performance of Pro.  A tip I got from ESRI was to disable spell check, which seems to help quite a bit.  So far testing 2.6 and 2.7 this is no longer an issue.  What a deal, constantly chasing gremlins which kill our productivity.

JeanetteHarlow1
New Contributor III

Would be nice if ESRI would publish tips like the spellcheck suggestion, rather than having people endure the slowness or have to wade through forums to get tidbits of suggestions.

AlisonMynsberge
New Contributor III

I am on 2.7.  Needed a nice hollow circle symbol.  Had to install a bunch of styles from 10.6; forgot to save before ArcGIS Pro crashed so had to reinstall the styles.  Finally gave up and searched for my preferred symbol style in ArcMap, and now I can search for that particular style and have some chance of getting a map done in less than 10 hours that would've taken about 2 in ArcMap.

KoryKramer
Esri Community Moderator

Hi @AlisonMynsberge Sorry to hear that you ran into a crash.  Before we get to that, does the built-in Circle 2 symbol not meet your needs?

KoryKramer_0-1616082779093.png

For the crash, did you submit the error report with your email address?  I haven't been able to find anything on our side, so if it was submitted, maybe it didn't include an email...

Could you go to C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\ESRI\ErrorReports and attach a few of the latest .dmp files from Pro crashing?  The filename contains a date-time stamp:

KoryKramer_1-1616082880423.png

We can analyze to see if we can determine the cause.

Thank you.

0 Kudos
AL_77
by
New Contributor III

I thought it was a 2.6 bug, but now i am on 2.7.3 and removing layers takes forever!! I have disabled spell check, taken off basemap... any thing else?

0 Kudos
TroyBum72
Occasional Contributor

Perhaps under DISPLAY options, swap between DirectX and OpenGL.  If you do not have GPU you will have struggles. You might clear your cache, as well as be sure that the path directory for local cache is accessible with full control by you.  Reboot daily to fully flush ram/cache?  Some ideas.

KoryKramer
Esri Community Moderator

All good suggestions @TroyBum72 !  @AL_77 please work through Troubleshooting Performance Issues in ArcGIS Pro step by step to ensure you meet or exceed the system requirements.  The suggestions in that troubleshooting guide may resolve the performance issue you're seeing, but even if they do not, they could help to isolate what is leading to the issue.  In that case, it will be helpful information to continue investigating with technical support.

I hope this helps!

0 Kudos
RockRunEnterprises
Occasional Contributor

None of these suggestions work.

I've started to simply create more project focused map documents with less layers. An inconvenience for sure, but quicker than dealing with the sluggishness. 

0 Kudos
MatheusDuarte_de_Brito
New Contributor

Too slow to save, add data (from database) and work in a Network!

0 Kudos
KoryKramer
Esri Community Moderator

Hi @MatheusDuarte_de_Brito See the recently released ArcGIS Pro Performance Assessment Tool (PAT): Announcing the ArcGIS Pro Performance Assessment Tool (PAT) 

It would be good if you downloaded and ran PAT from a local drive on the machine where ArcGIS Pro is installed and get benchmark numbers.  Those can be compared to the numbers shown in the blog and the PAT-README.  

You could then move PAT to your network location and run it again to get a comparison of local vs. network and this will give you an idea of the difference to run processes over the network for the exact same data and exact same operations.  

There are a handful of resources referenced from the PAT instructions and troubleshooting guide, but a couple key ones are here:

Troubleshooting Performance Issues in ArcGIS Pro - Esri Community  

Application, project, and data location tips&mdash;ArcGIS Pro | Documentation 

Let us know your PAT results by posting here - we're curious.

Thank you!