Why is ArcGIS Pro so slow?

02-08-2019 09:57 AM
ClintonJenkins1
New Contributor II

I like ArcGIS Pro. It is clearly a step forward in many ways. But why is it so slow for what are very simple things that should be nearly instantaneous. For example, if I want to adjust the symbology of something, ever single step causes the program to whir and think for about ten seconds, even when the layer is turned off! What exactly does it have to think about when the layer is not even rendering?

Almost every action in the program seems to generate some unknown processing demand. I can understand if the map is updating or a tool is running, but it seems to be for everything. This really drags down productivity and leaves me frustrated. If it wasn´t for this, I´d probably start switching to Pro completely. With all these lags though, it is impossible.

None of the data are on the network. Windows 10 machine, 32GB ram, fast video card not even close to maxed out. Most data are on SSD drives. 

106 Replies
bpolo
by
New Contributor

This has worked!... to not only improve performance, but fix a problem I was having with Esri basemaps (from the ribbon) generally not working (not loading; broken link symbol) that started after I downgraded from Pro 3.2 to 3.1. Guess my uninstall wasn't very clean. 

Thank you!!!

0 Kudos
TomKukitz
New Contributor III

Not a lot of wms's. Our network is a 1G shared fiber connection and most users are on VM terminals, except me. So knowing this I try to keep the wms's down on web maps and I don't use any in Pro. But thanks Simon for the input. It's definitely a cache issue with me.

0 Kudos
DanSmith27
New Contributor III

Here's something weird I noticed - I have a large project that keeps crashing (version 3.1.2). and once I accidentally opened the same project 2x - therefore making it "read only" - and the "read only" version was super fast. Layout exports, for example, went from 4 minutes EACH to under 30 seconds. Anyone have any ideas on that? Read-only being much faster?

TomKukitz
New Contributor III

Capital! That's a great find! I usually close maps and layouts on really big projects so there is not so much to load in Pro. You can always access them from the folders. But read-only on a second opening, faster, I will have to keep this in mind. Thanks!

TomKukitz
New Contributor III

No doubt, it does way to many things on an edit click or actually multiple clicks most of the time. I think it's the toolbar constantly changing with every click, and your are correct, there are too many processing demands for what should be simple commands. I still say ArcMap has the best toolbar setup. Turn on only what you need. Over the years ArcMap has gotten faster and faster. For a 32 bit program it runs great. Of course it does have the 64 bit geoprocesser as an add on. But they are restricting the use of ArcMap now. Just a few years ago you got Desktop with ArcPro, but not anymore. Anyway I digress, but things definitely need to change to make the 100% move to ArcPro for me as well. And moving to the utility network, wow, another extremely complicated move. Geometric Network works great, fast, and easy to configure. Why they keep trying to reinvent the wheel is beyond me. Hopefully, if we get enough people on board they will fix the turtle issues with ArcPro. And also get AR working with AGO would be nice. United We Map!

0 Kudos
randallhergert
New Contributor

Love the various feedback in this thread concerning causes for the slowdowns. I think there was an earlier mention of slowdowns occurring when accessing data over servers. While not knowing why, I can definitely confirm this happening for me. These slowdowns increasing geoprocessing times by factors of 10-30 would always occur when I utilized geodatabases over our servers at my work. Whenever I choose to generate a shapefile into a standard folder location, as opposed to a featureclass in a geodatabase, processing speeds return to normal. I think it was suggested in that earlier post that utilizing geodatabases on a local drive would help, as opposed to over a server. However, our particular setup at my office requires use of a server to various drives. Laptops/computers are shared in our operational environment and routinely replaced every x-number of years. We're about to have assigned laptops, but we'll still need to have shared drives for our work. Our laptops will also be recycled and replaced ever x-number of years still. Doing work on a geodatabase over a server is a must. 

Thanks for the ideas on this thread, it's been very insightful thus far! 

TomKukitz
New Contributor III

Be careful what you say, I was reprimanded for bad mouthing ArcPro. He told me this is not the place to complain, they only want happy things here. I replied by saying a community to work directly with the uses would be nice to we can suggest and get things fixed. We are the foot soldiers with GIS, if you don't listen to us things may only get worse. He told me I should talk to my rep, but he just quit and went somewhere else, keep getting new reps. So I have to go through my whole story again and again. I am looking at other avenues, like Diamond Maps and OpenGov. I am a currently doing double work now with ArcMap and ArcPro. First edit locally then in the wee hours copy data to Pro. I was a devoted Esri fan, but not since Pro came out. Man how Esri has changed in the last 25 years. United We Map! Maybe someday they will listen to users..........

0 Kudos