Why does the basemap change when downloading a mobile map package?

Jump to solution
08-16-2019 01:41 PM
NathanielSimmons2
New Contributor II

I am creating a mobile map package in ArcGIS Pro that I want to upload to ArcGIS Enterprise, and then download it for offline use on iPads. Before I created the mobile map package, I added the light gray canvas basemap, and used the "Download Map" button (from the Map tab) to clip the basemap so it could be uploaded and used offline. Then I created the mobile map package and successfully uploaded it onto ArcGIS Enterprise. 

On the iPad, I downloaded the map, but when I opened it (on the iPad) it was showing the "Streets" (yellow) basemap. I have tried this a handful of times and I keep getting the same result.

Has anyone else experienced this issue or know of a patch/fix that is coming soon?

21 Replies
Smith_Mike
New Contributor II

Mark, Is there a way to project the vtpk that results from clipping a portion of one of the Esri basemaps? Also, I'm using ArcPro 2.8.2 so I'm hoping I don't still have to go through the work around to keep the style, but maybe so.

0 Kudos
MarkBockenhauer
Esri Regular Contributor

The coordinate system of the VTPK will be in the coordinate system of the source files, so WGS 1884 Web Mercator (auxillary sphere) for the default Esri basemaps.    If you are using the VTPK in Runtime the map will need to be in the same coordinate system.  Runtime does not project on the fly for display like ArcGIS Pro.   Currently, I am not aware of a way to change the coordinate system for VTPK.

For the Style if you package the ArcGIS Pro layer, the Layer listed in the Pro table of contents, the resulting Mobile Map Package will make use of the style from the Layer.   If you make use of the .vtpk file directly, the internal style is still the old streetmap style.   So packageing the Layer file that gets added to the Pro map when you download map... is the way to go for that.

KoryKramer
Esri Community Moderator

Nathaniel, if you're not getting any response from the community, it might work best to contact technical support directly.

0 Kudos
JotHall1
New Contributor III

So is this the reason why, even after I follow these steps, I get an 'invalid map' response when I download and try to open in Explorer app on my iPad and iPhone?

In addition to this, your IPad App will also need to know how to use the custom style associated with the Vector Tile Package, this work is being done in ArcGIS Runtime update 7 - both Pro and Runtime updates schedule to be complete before the end of this year.

If so, do you have a better time frame as to when the Runtime update will happen? Or has it already

happened and I need to manually update something on my ios devices?

0 Kudos
MarkBockenhauer
Esri Regular Contributor

Jot,

No the 'Invalid Map' error is being caused by something else.  The manual workaround should work. 

ArcGIS Pro 2.5 and Apps built on Runtime 100.7 will support the Download Map workflow with the correct vector tile style.  Explorer and Navigator for ArcGIS will be released on runtime 100.7 in a few months.

If you are able to share a version of your MMPK (on arcgisonline?) that just has the VTPK in it, and shows the Invalid error, I can take a look to figure it out.

Thanks,

Mark 

0 Kudos
JotHall1
New Contributor III

Mark,

Yes, I can share. Do you have a specific group I should share the mmpk with just my vktp to?

Kindly,

Jot

0 Kudos
JotHall1
New Contributor III

Mark,

I created a group and invited you. Take a look when you can.

Thank you!

Jot

0 Kudos
MarkBockenhauer
Esri Regular Contributor

Looking at the package it is definitely malformed.  I pulled it apart and recreated the zipped VTPK that you packaged, and when I packaged it, the same malformed package was created.  I am not sure why this is happening, but I did go through the process of downloading a vector tile package of world topo and swapping out the content as described in this post with the world topo style and was successful in creating an mmpk that works.   I even took the Tiles from your VTPK and swapped them in.  I shared that result in the group you invited me to, and it packages successfully.

JotHall1
New Contributor III

Mark, thank you for looking into this. Yea, I'm not sure what went wrong, but i clearly screwed up something. And thank you for creating a working .vtpk! It's about 1/3 of the size of the one I created that didn't work, so that's great too! 

Thanks again

Kindly,

Jot

0 Kudos
MarkBockenhauer
Esri Regular Contributor

I just noticed that when swapped your tiles in... I also needed to put in the Tilemap files as well,  I shared a corrected VTPK to the group.