Why does ArcGIS Pro have to be so slow???

08-01-2017 11:31 AM
ericmeyers1
New Contributor III

Why is ArcGIS Pro so slow? To select assets, field calculate, display layers, change symbology... the easiest of tasks that are commonly utilized within ArcMap are a drag on the software.

When will ArcGIS Pro become faster than ArcMap? That will be the day it could replace it as the goto product for GIS professionals.

262 Replies
TylerSchwartz2
Occasional Contributor II

I think there is an issue with Pro and multi-threading - as my assumption is that a 64 bit application (that claims to be able to take advantage of multi-threading) should run faster on my machine than a 32-bit ArcMap application. Like the OP, I am also seeing much slower performance with Pro vs ArcMap on my machine. Doing very simple things like calculate field, selecting features within an attribute table, doing edits, changing symbology all take substantially longer in Pro...

As a side note, I am getting crashes when I try to Insert a new map into the project that appears to be in relation to Multi-Threading (but maybe I am wrong on that diagnosis). 

Event Viewer shows the following:

Application: ArcGISPro.exe
Framework Version: v4.0.30319
Description: The process was terminated due to an unhandled exception.
Exception Info: System.ArgumentException
at ArcGIS.Desktop.Internal.DesktopService._IMapAuthoringService.CreateNewMap(Int32, System.String, ArcGIS.Core.CIM.MapViewingMode, ArcGIS.Core.CIM.MapType, ArcGIS.Desktop.Mapping.Basemap, Boolean)
at ArcGIS.Desktop.Mapping.MappingModule+<>c__DisplayClass443_0.<CreateNewMapAsync>b__0()
at System.Threading.Tasks.Task`1[[System.Int32, mscorlib, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089]].InnerInvoke()
at System.Threading.Tasks.Task.Execute()
at System.Runtime.ExceptionServices.ExceptionDispatchInfo.Throw()
at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.HandleNonSuccessAndDebuggerNotification(System.Threading.Tasks.Task)
at ArcGIS.Desktop.Mapping.MappingModule+<InternalCreateNewMapAsync>d__1191.MoveNext()
at System.Runtime.ExceptionServices.ExceptionDispatchInfo.Throw()
at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.HandleNonSuccessAndDebuggerNotification(System.Threading.Tasks.Task)
at ArcGIS.Desktop.Mapping.MappingModule+<InternalOpenCreateNewMapAsync>d__1334.MoveNext()

Exception Info: System.AggregateException
at System.Threading.Tasks.TaskExceptionHolder.Finalize()

My machine specs are as follows:

All my data is local on a very fast 250GB Samsung NVME SSD (so read/write is not the issue here I am afraid). I am also running a NVIDIA Quadro M4000 GPU and ArcGIS Pro 2.0.1, but this issue first started occuring in 2.0.0 - I have submitted countless crash reports.

Our organization has a maintenance subscription so if anyone from support can reach out on this issue, it would be greatly appreciated.

MikeW
by
New Contributor III

Agreed, it's really the common tasks that were consistently instantaneous for years in ArcMap that all of the sudden are slow in Pro.  This is really a spit in the face to end-users.

by Anonymous User
Not applicable
  • I have a tool that exports excel files to tables in ArcPro. It takes several minutes per excel file. These are not big Excel files - 4 to maybe 100 records at most.
ThomasColson
MVP Frequent Contributor

If these issues aren't present in ArcMap, but are present in Pro, how did they suddenly become "network" issues? 

DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

I think Pro communicates with the network more.  It would be interesting to compare performance with working on versus offline which is possible in some configurations.

ThomasColson
MVP Frequent Contributor

"I think Pro communicates with the network more." is an understatement. Think I found out why every single change to a symbology property takes forever and locks up Pro: Simply changing a symbol from "ArcGIS 2D: Circle 1" to "ArcGIS 2D Circle 3" resulted in 10,475 separate TCP calls evenly split between send, receive, and copy events which took 00:00:02.10 seconds to execute; the same exact operation in ArcMap? 0 TCP calls, 00:00:00.23 seconds to execute. Sometimes the delay is several minutes. It appears that with every symbology change, Pro is re-downloading the entire layer from the source. Why? Arcmap doesn't do this (and isn't as slow at common operations such as symbol styling). Making pure SQL queries to the same data in a variety of clients other than Pro is near-instantaneous. This is regardless of the layer cache settings applied in Pro (I tried all of them, same barely-usable response). 

MarcoBoeringa
MVP Regular Contributor

Thomas,

It would definitely be nice to see a real response of ESRI to your detective work regarding the TCP calls or ArcGIS Pro. Whether you are on to something, I can't say, but it does raise questions and points ESRI should look into.

Marco

ChaitGaddam1
New Contributor II

Hi Thomas, 

It would be great if you could describe your scenario in more detail. What steps are you taking before you update the symbology? 

How is Pro installed on your network? Feel free to email me at CGaddam@esri.com.

Thanks,

Chait

MikeKing2
New Contributor II

Just imagine what happens when your network admin put real time virus scanning on your network and local machine and every one of those calls is intercepted by the virus scan before it goes through...  The software is rendered useless.  My experience mirrors yours in that Pro does generate even more network traffic than ArcMap.  Anything that interferes with this affects the user experience and it can definitely be network side monitoring and port limiting.

Anneka_France
Occasional Contributor III

I have also had this issue with virus scanning. ArcMap runs just fine using data saved in exactly the same location and using the same computer (above recommended specs). This is making it impossible to migrate to ArcGIS Pro as I can't even change layer symbology without the application freezing!

Anneka France
Technical Manager at The Rivers Trust