Why does ArcGIS Pro have to be so slow???

08-01-2017 11:31 AM
ericmeyers1
Occasional Contributor

Why is ArcGIS Pro so slow? To select assets, field calculate, display layers, change symbology... the easiest of tasks that are commonly utilized within ArcMap are a drag on the software.

When will ArcGIS Pro become faster than ArcMap? That will be the day it could replace it as the goto product for GIS professionals.

270 Replies
AlexZhuk
Frequent Contributor

I could see all of us, long time ESRI users, complaining about some third-party program, how it goes against all our user's habits and expectations. But the Pro is from ESRI! It feels like the developers just completely ignored and betrayed their users' experiences! I almost want to say "ArcMap was not broken, so..."

AbhijeetKulkarni
Frequent Contributor

Just adding my 2 cents here. If I add sub-types using model builder then it will take much less time than if done via UI. Same action but using alternative way and time is very less. So its still application and not network really? 

AshleyNewby1
Occasional Contributor

Just wanted to post this here since it looks like many users prefer the ArcMap layout....you can make an ArcMap-style toolbar for ArcGIS Pro! This blog will show you how, along with other tips and tricks: ArcGIS Pro: Ribbons, Toolbars, and UI Hacks 

Also, here is a link on how to translate common workflows from ArcMap and it's equivalent in ArcGIS Pro: For ArcMap users—ArcGIS Pro | ArcGIS Desktop 

Hope this helps ease the frustration!

Ashley

0 Kudos
ChristinaBrewer1
Emerging Contributor

Well said.

I do greatly appreciate some of the increased functionality of, and access to cartography tools, and like that masking isn't buried four of five menus deeps. However, I've just begun using ArcPro outside of webinars, or workshops, and my first instinct now is that the ribbon design is going to take so much more clicking in repeating workflows that require more than one ribbon. I did find where you can make your own ribbons and sections within that ribbon (customizations, like in ArcMap), but I haven't yet determined if building my own ribbon with common tools will overcome the inefficiency of the ribbon structure. I'm beginning to wonder if it was really necessary to take away toolbars. I also greatly agree with another comment about projects. I often open ArcMap and view data without ever saving the mxd. Requiring a saved project will create so many junk projects. 

RickGonzalez
Occasional Contributor

Agreed!

0 Kudos
elpone
by
Occasional Contributor

I to have found Arcpro to be effectively unusable, its too slow, crashes and I'm having issues of not being able to update feature classes.  The ribbon user interface looks good but is painful to use.  The arrogance of knowing what you are doing dictates what you can access directly, I'm for ever hunting and changing through the various ribbons to access the functionality I want.  It also takes up a lot of screen real estate...  

AndyWells
Frequent Contributor

I was having a terrible time with Pro hanging up and crashing and just being excruciatingly slow, even on fairly basic 2D maps just panning around and zooming. I used the frame rate display (Shift + E) and the Diagnostic Monitor (Ctl + Alt + M) and found out that I was having major "hangs" and it was using Direct3D. So I switched to using OpenGL in preferences, and it has made a huge difference. It was basically unusable before and now it is not too bad. There are still spots where it is slower than I'd like, but overall it is at least as useable as ArcMap for most day to day things. 

I don't know why it made a difference, as I am only working on 2D maps and you wouldn't think the GPU would matter, but in my case it definitely made a big difference. I'm on a laptop which has a basic Intel graphics card and also an Nvidia card, and depending on what you are doing, it uses whichever card is best for power vs performance. Maybe when I was on Direct3D it wasn't even using the Nvidia card, and switching it to OpenGL forced it to use that graphics card (?). I don't understand it, but it worked for me. (For now, anyway...)

VladimirStojanovic
Regular Contributor

It's a pity.

I simple cannot get to enough time to explain and describe everything that makes me cry using ArcGIS Pro. It would be a long, long story of crying. Nobody will hear long, long story of crying, I understand that.

I thought with the 2.1.1 update I would be able to see at least some of improvements. Nadda. Niente. Nix. Null. Zero.

It is very disappointing for me. And very frustrating at the same time, because I am the guy who should bring ArcGIS PRO workflows to our company.

And I simply don't understand ESRI.

DavidZimmerman
Emerging Contributor

Ever since downloading ArcGIS PRO I have been having issues with ArcMap and PRO. I re-downloaded and installed both programs again today; last time was this past August. This process consumes an inordinate amount of time.

Today I attempted multiple times to export a joined table to a shapefile and geodatabase. The Copy Features tool stalls at 6% and hangs there for hours until I close down the program and reopen it.

ArcMAP will no longer do an optimized hot spot analysis on point data, no explanation at all. I then take the same data with the same process, and it works fine in ArcGIS PRO..

It seems to me ArcGIS PRO intends to be a money machine for ESRI. Charges for every analysis supposedly in ArcGIS online only. Does anyone else have negative credits on their account?

Working with ESRI products has become increasingly frustrating over the years. I believe they are focused on the development of their offerings and silo their subject matter experts inhibiting a manageable integration of the parts into a workable whole.

The bottleneck created by the software hurts my brain, decreases efficiency, and inhibits creativity.

Note the effort to export the joined file referred to above was completed: "Start Time: Tuesday, March 27, 2018 4:52:35 PM
Succeeded at Tuesday, March 27, 2018 6:09:20 PM (Elapsed Time: 1 hours 16 minutes 43 seconds)"