Why does ArcGIS Pro have to be so slow???

08-01-2017 11:31 AM
ericmeyers1
New Contributor III

Why is ArcGIS Pro so slow? To select assets, field calculate, display layers, change symbology... the easiest of tasks that are commonly utilized within ArcMap are a drag on the software.

When will ArcGIS Pro become faster than ArcMap? That will be the day it could replace it as the goto product for GIS professionals.

265 Replies
JohnBrockwell
Occasional Contributor III

I'm not going there. Enjoy your weekend.

0 Kudos
AbelPerez

The geoprocessing panes also take forever to display. Just to display the pane on my machine takes about 5 to 20 seconds.

curtvprice
MVP Esteemed Contributor

It takes that long for the first one for me, but after that the GP is up and running so the tools come up quickly.

AbelPerez

Ill have to test that.

0 Kudos
Mohd_AnuarIshak
New Contributor

i have 24gb inside but couldnt finish "create a feature dataset" within 20 minutes??? And still running...

AndrewQuee

I had an 'entertaining' example yesterday.  Exported some simple FC's into a network folder.  Two groups of three same-named FCs, each with maybe 10K features, nothing special.  Call them A, B, C and A, B, C.  Takes about 10 seconds in Desktop.  

Okay rename the first three so avoid conflict on importing the second group:  A1, B1, C1.  Wait.  Wait.  Wait.  Nothing happens in catalog pane.  Press refresh.  Names finally change.  Why do I need to manually refresh an object list?  I haven't had to do that since the bad old days of Bashing console and FTP!

Okay, bring in new group and rename also to show different origin, A2, B2, C2.  Refresh.  Check names have changed.  Wait a few seconds for hamsters to catch up.  Refresh to ensure names have changed.

Copy all six into local FGDB on my computer.  The second group copy with the original names!  Go back to the source location.  Names are changed there, but not on destination.  FGDB has A1, B1, C1, A, B, C *flip mousepad and close Pro*

This is a really really basic, simple operation done on my own computer, and took about many times longer in Pro than using Catalog simply because I couldn't trust the processing tools to be doing the right thing at the right time.  I would hate to doing this on dozens of objects in a Catalog pane on multiple enterprise.

curtvprice
MVP Esteemed Contributor

I had a similar issue where I have been trying to replace a feature class and the tools can't figure out that the old version is gone.  If you use a workflow a lot, it is worth reporting it to through tech support. Sometimes they have a better workflow for you (for example in your case, changing the names at import time instead of renaming) but they also can log enhancement tickets that ARE used by the dev teams to meet user's use-cases!

0 Kudos
AndrewQuee

Sorry let me try English again on my post (not allowed to edit)

"took many times longer in Pro than using Catalog" and "...would hate to doing this on dozens of objects in a Catalog pane on multiple enterprise geodatabases"

Had a similar case yesterday.  Create new map, open catalog pane, connect database, select four FC.  Add to map.  Simple, yes?

Nothing happened.  Wait.  Wait.  Wait.  [30 seconds later] Ok this is not happening, can you even add multiple items to a map at once?  Do it again.  

Wait.  Wait. Wait.  Nothing happens.  Do it again.

Give up and start adding them one at a time.

All of a sudden multiple copies of the same FC erupt onto the map! [2 minutes later]

Um.. okay?

JeanetteHarlow1
New Contributor III

I have a top of the line laptop at my facility.  (128 GB RAM, SSD, Intel i9-8950HK CPU @2.9GHz)  I save everything locally.  And am still bogged down by slowness.  Even turning off layers can run into the double digit minutes.  Would be nice if ESRI could spend as much time to improve the efficiency of the bread and butter software (PRO) as it does creating new products.  Or put out easy to find tutorials on tips for improving performance.

by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Esri needs to solve the problem of the slow behavior of Arcgis Pro. 

I like a lot of the features in Arcgis Pro, but I can´t recommend it as usual workflows are extremely slow.

I would tolerate waiting for a few second to access the tools or to do basic calculations.

Even running python in Arcgis Pro is extremely slow. The worst experience was when I did some calculations in a field in a big data set and it took more than one hour. In Python (pandas) it took less than a second. I guess it depends on working in memory compared to working in a local file database.

It should not bee this way.