Which is the best solution for ArcGIS application development using AR/VR?

02-02-2021 09:13 PM
Mike_peter_LearnArcGIS123S
New Contributor II

I'm new to this ArcGIS concept. I need to develop a AR/VR application. Concept of this development is:

• Resource Management 
  • Resource Allocation (for the live natural calamities)
  • Tracking the Allocation

I couldn't find any relevant samples in AR/VR using ArcGIS data. So I'm bit confused whether there is any possibility to do this above concept in the AR/VR mode? I'm sure that we can do it in desktop application. Can any one please share any examples or ideas on how to achieve this concept in AR/VR mode? Thanks!

0 Kudos
7 Replies
LongDinh
Occasional Contributor II

Hi Mike_peter_LearnArcGIS123S,

As far as viewing goes in Extended Realities (AR, VR & MR), I do not believe ESRI have an official application / workflows. Most applications are in Esri labs or in early adopter programs.

For AR, you can have a look at AuGeo which allows you to publish a WebMap (linked to your Feature Service) to a mobile application for AR viewing. 

For VR, you can look into ArcGIS 360 VR. GIS Data is published into a City Engine viewer and can be deployed to the ArcGIS 360 VR application. Here's a link to the quick start documentation https://community.esri.com/t5/esri-labs-documents/arcgis-360-vr-quick-start-guide/ta-p/918595/jump-t...

I am not too sure about the progress of MR.

As far as I am aware, these applications are for viewing.

Hope this helps 🙂

New Contributor II

Hi LongDinh,

Actually, I'm looking for some suggestions to develop the below concepts in the AR/VR application using ArcGIS. Can you please share your thoughts on this? Thanks!

• Resource Management 
0 Kudos
LongDinh
Occasional Contributor II
The ArcGIS Workforce application is an OOTB solution for field staff management. Was this what you were after in regards to resource management?

If your Web Map is linked to your ArcGIS Workforce application, the same services attached to the Web Map can be brought into your ArcGIS VR/AR application for viewing.

In terms of making edits in AR/VR, you will need to look into developing an SDK to deploy custom tools  which interact with ArcGIS Web services through the AR/VR's application UI.
New Contributor II

The ArcGIS Workforce application is an OOTB solution for field staff management. Was this what you were after in regards to resource management? Yes, something like that to manage, allocate, and track with live ArcGIS data.

0 Kudos
JayantaPoddar
MVP Esteemed Contributor

I have very limited knowledge on the AR/VR/MR (XR with ArcGIS).

ArcGIS Maps SDKs are available for Unity and Unreal Engine. Please check if any of the following interests you.

ArcGIS Maps SDK for Unity

ArcGIS Maps SDK for Unreal Engine

A video An Introduction to ArcGIS Maps SDKs for Game Engines

Think Location
New Contributor II

Hi Jayanta_Poddar,

Actually, I'm looking for some suggestions to develop the below concepts in the AR/VR application using ArcGIS. Can you please share your thoughts on this? Thanks!

• Resource Management 
0 Kudos
AndrewMcLane
New Contributor III

I am working with the SDK in Unity. I am attempting to make 1:1 real world scale and pin the map to the session origin and use the AR camera with lat long info to drive the ARC map camera, or visa versa. Any advice or recommendations? 

0 Kudos