Select to view content in your preferred language

Project Packaging - Not all project geodatabases "migrating" along created package

03-03-2022 05:22 AM
Labels (2)
CarlosChique
New Contributor II

Hi All, 

I am fairly new to the concept of "packaging" and "unpackaging" a project in a new location. I need to do this to move files from my PC into an external drive for further use. 

Creating a package works well, but I noticed that once "unpacked", several of the projects Geodatabases are not "exported" along with the project package. 

I wonder if there is a reason for this or if I am missing something while "packaging" the project.  

I found no answers online and I am following ESRI instructions. 

I could use catalog to copy the missing .gdbs into the new project, but that defeats the purpose of creating a project package.  

Alternatively, if someone can recommend another way to export all project data (e.g., ala ArcMAP - simply copying and pasting in new location an entire folder) then that would be much appreciated. 

Thanks in advance! 

9 Replies
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

When you create the project package, are you checking (or not checking) the "Share outside of organization" check box?  According to the Help -

Unchecked—Enterprise data sources, such as enterprise geodatabases and data from a UNC path, will not be copied to the local folder. This is the default.
Checked—Data formats will be copied and preserved when possible.

CarlosChique
New Contributor II

Hi Robert,

Thanks! Unfortunately, I have tried checking "Shared outside of organization" and still have the same issue. The majority of geodatabases are not exported. I have tried this with different projects and I still have the same problem. It makes it much more difficult to export than ArcMap!

0 Kudos
RhettZufelt
MVP Notable Contributor

"Works well", but several of the Geodatabases are not exported......

Does this mean that you open the package and all the data is there, just that some of the FGDB's aren't copied completely?  Or, is there missing data in the un-packed project?

My testing shows it only copies datasets actually used in the project, not the complete database they reside in.

R_

0 Kudos
CarlosChique
New Contributor II

Several GDB's are missing completely once the project is unpackaged. There are only a couple which are exported including the original that is created with the project. Note that the ones missing are contained "within" the packaged project and folder "links" to other projects. Interestingly, I noticed that I am using a FC from a different project which is actually exported along by creating a GDB with that single FC. However, the rest of my self-contained GDBs are not.

I wonder if it is related to the large number of FCs (+ 300) in these GDBs. I am working with several GDBs with a large number of files for organization purposes. 

I noticed that there is an option to allow for "attachments" when packaging a project. I will try to explore it.  

0 Kudos
RhettZufelt
MVP Notable Contributor

Are the missing GDB's just within the "project", or is there data from each of them loaded into the map(s) themselves.

I have pulled in data from 2 SDE datasets, and 4 FGDB's, and have several others in my projects database list, but no data being pulled from them for the map.

When I package the project, there is a copy FGDB for each that has data in the map, and only the feature classes that are in the map are copied (I.e., one FC in a FGDB that has 50 FC's in it, but only one loaded in the map).  The other FGDB's I have loaded in the project and in the project folder do not get copied.

R_

0 Kudos
CarlosChique
New Contributor II

Yes, the GDBs are within the project but with no representation in a project's map. You are right, only FC's that are on the map are copied and the rest are not..

This is obviously a huge limitation as I have hundreds of FC's across several GDBs.... You can copy them with catalog, etc., but it kind of defeats the purpose of exporting a project package. 

0 Kudos
JonahLay
Esri Contributor

Hi Carlos,

How were the geodatabases included in the original project? Did you add them directly so that they appear under Databases in your Catalog pane? Or did you make folder connections to the locations of the file geodatabases? If you only made folder connections, the contents would not be copied. See the table in the Share a project package help topic for more information.

Best,

Jonah

0 Kudos
CarlosChique
New Contributor II

Hi Jonah, 

I created the new GDBs (New -> File Geodatabase) on the actual project's folder (right-click) using Catalog. No GDB was added through a folder connection as all FCs derive (were created) from this project. They all appear under Databases in the Catalog pane.

Thanks

Carlos.  

0 Kudos
RhettZufelt
MVP Notable Contributor

It doesn't seem to matter, if the data is not "reference" in the project, it does not get copied.  (Apparently, "referenced" means actually loading dataset into the map)

Folder connections

Removed

Items in the connection are not copied.

Server connections

Removed

Database connections

Removed

Data Connections

Consolidate local data, UNC path, and enterprise geodatabase data.

Remove all connections from the Catalog pane.

Copy the project default.gdb.

the only way I was able to get it to copy an entire FGDB with the package is if I set it as my "Default" database in the project (and you are only allowed one).

Which, is probably a good thing.  Otherwise, if I were to package a project loading my streets featureclass from SDE, and it copied the entire loaded databases, my project would grow by 9+ Gb for a few kb worth of needed data.

R_

0 Kudos