Select to view content in your preferred language

What is this CRS? X:11973873.26 Y:663.803216

Friday
Allie
by
New Contributor II

I've got a .csv file I'm trying to geocode points for. I've not seen these types of coordinates before and could use some help getting this geocode job done. Any quick advice?

Allie_0-1720811504397.png

0 Kudos
6 Replies
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

they could be Web Mercator aux

Transform coordinates - GPS online converter (epsg.io)

if you are near

Long 107°36'11.862"

Lat   54°11'14.379"

You can get a python library there if you want to do it yourself

... sort of retired...
0 Kudos
Allie
by
New Contributor II

Thanks for your suggestion @DanPatterson . This one didn't solve the problem, unfortunately. I know this data came from a ground penetrating radar unit. Not sure if that helps? I've tried putting the map in GCS WGS84 and outputting the layer in GCS WGS 84, I've tried putting the map in a projection I believe matches the data (state plane) and outputting the layer in the same, I've tried UTM, ITRF... I'm so confused 😞

Any other advice? 

Appreciate anything!

0 Kudos
Allie
by
New Contributor II

Good eye Barry! Yes I did put that title in wrong. I got the problem fixed now, thanks for your response! 

0 Kudos
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

The intent of that link is to use the longitude and latitude of where you know the data are and one of the projected coordinate systems will match.  So I gather that the long/lat that was spit out by my example from your first point would suggests that Web Mercator aux sphere isn't a match.... what else did you try for projected coordinate systems?  eg utm, state plane (hopefully in meters, but the coordinates may be in feet.

If you know where the data came from, confirm that the units are either meters or feet first, then establish a baseline longitude/latitude before throwing possible projected coordinate system possibilities.... or better still, ask the people that provided the data

... sort of retired...
0 Kudos
Allie
by
New Contributor II

Thanks Dan, I ended up getting the gdb from a new client who mistakenly told me an incorrect CRS. They thought it was georgia west but was actually virginia north. Fixed up the map's crs and the output crs and everything is as it should be now. Appreciate your help so much!

0 Kudos
BarryNorthey
Occasional Contributor III

I noticed that your topic title line confuses the Z and Y values: Y:663.803216, which I assume was a mistake but if you are using the Z values as Y values then you will have problems. I also have found that X coordinate values if recorded as positive numbers in tables puts them East of Greenwich. Multiplying them by -1 tells Pro that they are in the western hemisphere such as -11973873.26 m west of Greenwich.

I used the Go To X,Y command on a map in WGS 1984 Web Mercator (auxiliary sphere) and dropped a pin at your last X,Y coordinate pair. It plunked down in Saskatchewan. If that doesn't make sense based on your client, then this is not the solution.

BarryNorthey_0-1721065857992.png

0 Kudos