What is ArcGIS Pro's Logic for Drawing a Parallel Line at a Specific Distance?

Jump to solution
11-30-2017 08:14 AM
CheyneHadley
New Contributor III

Seriously, I can't figure out how ArcGIS Pro decides which direction to draw a line.  When I draw a parallel (or perpendicular) line, I press "P" (or "E"), then "D" for distance enter in a value, then ArcGIS Pro always draws the line in the opposite direction I want.  Watch the video.  I put in positive 1000 varas twice, but each time it draws the line in a different direction.  Why?  I always end up having to do this two or three times for each polygon because I have no idea where the line is going to go.

arcgispro editing‌

parallel‌

perpendicular‌

measured distance‌

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

It looks like you found a bug with parallel. The parallel option is internally setting the sketch direction constraint to the direction of the segment you clicked on (polygons segments are ordered clockwise). When the distant option is chosen, its using that direction constraint rather than the relative mouse location to determine the next sketch segment.

Good find, we'll get it fixed.

View solution in original post

4 Replies
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

It looks like you found a bug with parallel. The parallel option is internally setting the sketch direction constraint to the direction of the segment you clicked on (polygons segments are ordered clockwise). When the distant option is chosen, its using that direction constraint rather than the relative mouse location to determine the next sketch segment.

Good find, we'll get it fixed.

by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Fixed for Pro 2.2, it was too late for 2.1 (soon)

CheyneHadley
New Contributor III

Fantastic to hear, thank you.

0 Kudos
JMcCoy
by
New Contributor II

How do you constrain a line parallel to another segment of the feature you are creating?

0 Kudos