Select to view content in your preferred language

Using zonal statistics with a DEM?

Jump to solution
02-03-2024 08:18 AM
Labels (2)
EllaWes13
New Contributor II

Hi!

I'm using ArcGISPro on desktop and my goal is to get the standard deviation on the slope and on the elevation of an area. I have a DEM for the area in question in .tif format (picture) and I thought that the zonal statistics tool could give me these values that I need. However, it seems like using this type of DEM with zonal statistics doesn't work (at least when I try it it says that the file format is wrong). Do I need to convert the DEM to some other format or download elevation models in another file format in order for it to work?

Skärmbild 2024-02-03 181438.png

As long as I have the right format for the files, am I right in thinking I can get the standard deviation of slope by using the slope tool first on the area and then zonal statistics on those results? And with elevation I'll do zonal statistics directly on the DEM?

Thanks for any and all help!

EDIT: On second thought I'm beginning to think I've put the wrong data in the wrong place when doing the zonal statistics. I put the DEM as the input raster and my defined area (polygon) as input value but it's supposed to be the other way around right? So Input raster is the area where I want to get the standard devation for and the input value is the DEM?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Zonal Statistics (Spatial Analyst)—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation

How zonal statistics tools work—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation

The zone file is normally the polygon featureclass delineating the area that you are interested in

The dem is the input raster that you want statistics for

... sort of retired...

View solution in original post

1 Reply
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Zonal Statistics (Spatial Analyst)—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation

How zonal statistics tools work—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation

The zone file is normally the polygon featureclass delineating the area that you are interested in

The dem is the input raster that you want statistics for

... sort of retired...