Update COGO Attributes in Pro 2.4

Jump to solution
08-29-2019 05:34 AM
SeanCarlton
New Contributor

I'm glad that the Update COGO Attributes tool was added to 2.4, however is there a way to get the Direction field to mirror the project units? For instance, rather than the Direction field being portrayed in Azimuths, is there a way to have it display in Quadrant Bearing (N45-22-11E)?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
ChrisBuscaglia
Esri Contributor

Sean - 

If you want to simplify the editing map and use standard python vs. arcade you can change the direction field to display quadrant bearing.  This way you can forgo the lenghty expression and just use a simple one.  This also bypasses the expression if you don't want to see COGO ERROR for lines that don't have dimensions or inferred from other measurements.  I also found this to be a bit faster when drawing labels.

This will also update the display for things like the attribute pane and attribute window.  

The field designer will allow you to change the formatting, below is an example for changing to quadrant bearing - same can be done for distance (to round).  

Expression:

Result: 

Chris Buscaglia 

ArcGIS Government Solutions

View solution in original post

6 Replies
Scott_Harris
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Sean,

What does the label expression for the COGO lines look like? There is a SETTINGS section of the expression and this is the line you may want to check:

var QuadrantBearingFormat = true; //set 'true' for quadrant bearing, 'false' for north azimuth

Select the COGO-enabled line layer in the Contents pane > A labeling tab appears on the Ribbon, click it > For the "Direction and Distance" label class, click on the Expression button.

Once you click the Expression button, you will see the expression being used:

Hope this helps!

Scott

ChrisBuscaglia
Esri Contributor

Sean - 

If you want to simplify the editing map and use standard python vs. arcade you can change the direction field to display quadrant bearing.  This way you can forgo the lenghty expression and just use a simple one.  This also bypasses the expression if you don't want to see COGO ERROR for lines that don't have dimensions or inferred from other measurements.  I also found this to be a bit faster when drawing labels.

This will also update the display for things like the attribute pane and attribute window.  

The field designer will allow you to change the formatting, below is an example for changing to quadrant bearing - same can be done for distance (to round).  

Expression:

Result: 

Chris Buscaglia 

ArcGIS Government Solutions

SeanCarlton
New Contributor

Thanks so much Chris. This is exactly what I was looking for.

Appreciate the quick responses.

0 Kudos
LadyFranciscarKassama
New Contributor II

Hi Chris. I hope you can help me. I have an existing line feature class. I am able to select the lines but the Update button is disabled. Any idea what I'm missing here? Thanks!

LadyFranciscarKassama_0-1636136586210.png

0 Kudos
AmirBar-Maor
Esri Regular Contributor

@LadyFranciscarKassama 

Assuming that your lines are "COGO Enabled" I think you might have a selection issue and that you have selected a polygon or a point as well - see image below.
If you can - try to use the selection tool that is available in the Update COGO pane. That selection tool will only select lines.

AmirBarMaor_0-1646729364173.png

0 Kudos
ChrisBuscaglia
Esri Contributor

@LadyFranciscarKassama not sure why that's not working - maybe @AmirBar-Maor would have more insight.

0 Kudos