Select to view content in your preferred language

Unable to identify an XY event layer with the Explorer tool

11-20-2023 08:41 AM
JulieZamudio
Occasional Contributor

When I create a XY event layer from a sql table using the Make XY Event Layer in the Data Management Tools the Identify tool no longer works. I can't even select a single feature from the attribute table to identify. However, when I use Display XY to display the sql table locations the Identify tool works. Only problem with that is that the layer created doesn't update when the sql table is updated. 

Am I doing something wrong? Is there a work around? Right now, I've been turning on the labels to identify the points, but that's not always practical. 

I found a bug that sounds like the same problem but it's from 2017 and it doesn't seem that this has ever been addressed. 

Unable to identify an XY event layer with the Explorer tool.
Last Published: August 25, 2017

ArcGIS Pro
Bug ID Number BUG-000107226
Submitted August 9, 2017
Last Modified October 14, 2020
Applies to ArcGIS Pro
Version found 2
Operating System Windows
Operating System Version 7.0 64 Bit
Status In Review
Bug ID: BUG-000107226

3 Replies
Wayne_Rennick
Occasional Contributor

Did you have any luck figuring this out? Did it ever work? We use XY Event Themes/layers quite frequently when passing data back and forth between non ESRI applications. Having to convert it to a point feature dataset isn't a solution.

Put another feature on the list of things that are missing from ArcGIS Pro that were in ArcMap.

0 Kudos
JulieZamudio
Occasional Contributor

It seems the issue is mainly with sql databases. I haven't found a solution to this other than turning on labels. However when you're trying to find one location out of 1000+ turning on labels really isn't helpful. 

Wayne_Rennick
Occasional Contributor

I'm using text files (csv and tab delimited) and Excel files too. 

0 Kudos