Select to view content in your preferred language

Unable to Add a field for shapefile in ArcGIS Pro 2.0.1

11-20-2017 11:01 AM
ClaireInbody1
Occasional Contributor

I am not able to add a field to a shapefile in ArcGIS Pro 2.0.1. It briefly brings up the Click here to add a new field then disappears. It does allow us to add a field in file geodatabase-feature class. Computer has Windows 8.1 enterprise, 8GB RAM, i5. 

0 Kudos
6 Replies
JayantaPoddar
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Check if restarting ArcGIS Pro resolves the issue.

Use Add Field geoprocessing tool in case you are not able to add field from the attribute table.

Think Location
JPaulo
by
New Contributor III

I am also having this issue when going through Data -> Fields.

Also, I can't find a way to activate the "Add" button through the attribute table:

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Get out of an edit session if you are in one. And if the Add doesn't come back, then try Jayanta's suggestion

curtvprice
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Pro doesn't have edit sessions like ArcMap. Editing is always active if you have an edit tool selected. On all layers not specially marked as not editable. . . 

Teaching Intro to GIS with Pro this year ... for the first time. It can really be a mind bender.

DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

True... I still forget to say... save your edits if there were any

TimOrmsby
Esri Regular Contributor

If you have a Basic level license, there's a known issue with adding fields to shapefiles through the UI. Thread about it here. The workaround is to use the Add Field geoprocessing tool. Unfortunately, it looks like the bug is not fixed in Pro 2.1.