Trouble Joining layer to Table

Jump to solution
06-24-2021 03:48 PM
PeterDormaar
New Contributor II

Hello, I'm using argis pro. I'm having trouble joining a layer to a table. 

The connecting column is formatted the same. Both of them are text. The same values can be found in both the table and the layer. 

When I do the join analysis it says there are no matching records. I've reformatted it 20 different times to try and connect them but still can't. I have been able to connect this layer to other tables that have the same values before, but not with this one.

I've heard that it's possible to join the layer to a .csv, but I can't convert the .csv into a table in arcmap. 

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks. 

--P

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Waffle_House
Occasional Contributor II

@PeterDormaar I recommend you try the following:

1. Create a File Geodatabase on your local drive.
  2. Import shapefile into a File Geodatabase using Import or Feature Class to Feature Class Tool. The output should be a File Geodatabase Feature Class.
  3. Import your dbf file into the same File Geodatabase using the Table to Table tool mentioned by the lovely @DanPatterson. The output should be a File Geodatabase Table.
  4. Once these are both inside of the same File Geodatabase, perform your attribute join (documentation).

If this does not work, post screenshots of tool parameters for all tools above.

Cheers

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Waffle_House

Are you trying to join a table or a csv? What are the file types of the layer and the table?

PeterDormaar
New Contributor II

Hey Waffle House, I'm trying to join a table. The table was started as Excel 97-2003 Workbook but is now .dbf, and the layer is a shapefile

0 Kudos
Waffle_House

@PeterDormaar I recommend you try the following:

1. Create a File Geodatabase on your local drive.
  2. Import shapefile into a File Geodatabase using Import or Feature Class to Feature Class Tool. The output should be a File Geodatabase Feature Class.
  3. Import your dbf file into the same File Geodatabase using the Table to Table tool mentioned by the lovely @DanPatterson. The output should be a File Geodatabase Table.
  4. Once these are both inside of the same File Geodatabase, perform your attribute join (documentation).

If this does not work, post screenshots of tool parameters for all tools above.

Cheers

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi, 

Are you trying to convert the Table to features?  You can try and convert the features and then merge them?

Turn Table To Turn Feature Class—Help | ArcGIS for Desktop

What are files fields/headings that you are trying to merge?

0 Kudos
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Table To Table (Conversion)—ArcMap | Documentation (arcgis.com)

allows for the import of csv files.  Make the destination into a geodatabase so you get a gdb table.

A screen grab of the contents of both files would help to rule out issues like case-sensitivity etc

... sort of retired...
0 Kudos