Select to view content in your preferred language

Those of you running ArcGIS Pro: What are your system specs? Are you happy with the performance?

03-17-2016 12:37 PM
TreyPrestigiacomo
New Contributor II

We have 2 machines that run ArcGIS Pro. They both are lagging when running ArcGIS Pro, especially when using LAS datasets and 3D scenes. These machines mostly meet or exceed ESRI's optimal specs. Is anyone happy with their ArcGIS Pro Performance? More Video Card? More Processor?

Machine 1:

Intel Xeon 2.4 GHz Dual core

24gb RAM

NVIDIA Titan Z video card

Windows 7

Dell T3500

Machine 2:

Lenovo

intel i7 6700 8 cores

16gb RAM

K2200 Quaddro video card

Window 7

0 Kudos
40 Replies
TimMinter
Regular Contributor

Don't forget to max out storage i/o - that speed matters, too.  ArcGIS Pro makes huge wads of cache.

Notebook - Dell Precision 7510, Feb 2016

• Win10, build 10240
  • Intel Core i7-6820HQ, HD Graphics 530
  • 16GB , DDR4-2133MHz SDRAM (i'm set to add another 16GB to support local SQL Server sandbox)
  • M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD & 7200 rpm SATA HD
  • Nvidia Quadro M2000M 4GB GDDR5

Happy enough.  Power vs. mobility is balanced.  Machine is bigger than I like for a notebook, but smaller didn't support the necessary components.  ArcGIS Pro is relatively zippy on this machine and does its work generally well.  ArcGIS for Earth ( 😉 eh?) is mysteriously slow, but I don't care enough yet to figure it out.  ArcMap and its senior 32-bit brethren don't get along with the modern display technology, but that's a known and pinned issue.  Non-Esri geotools are all quite happy and ripping around at high speeds.  I've developed a bad case of iFinger (MacSwipe?) that's causing me a little difficulty with the touchpad, but that's just an olde dawg re-learning an olde trick thang...

AlexanderGray
Regular Contributor II

Can you change where the cache writes?  I am getting hammered by the on access scanner.

0 Kudos
JeremyWright
Esri Regular Contributor

We've got a forthcoming KB article on how to change the cache dir via registry key...let me find the KB number and whether it's public yet.

bilalcelik1
New Contributor

Tim Minter I have bought same laptop, dell precision m7510 with 512 flash storage and 2GB graphic card.

When i use arcmap I feel some freezing. For example when I minimize and maximize the arcmap window or if I wanna click catalog or search box on the right side of the window. I feel also some weird clicking sound coming from laptop when I do these actions. Do you have any of these problems? I bought refurb laptop, maybe because of that.

Please let me know, if you do not have same thing I will return it back.

0 Kudos
TimMinter
Regular Contributor

Hi bilal celik​ - I'm experiencing oddities with ArcMap and other 32-bit ArcGIS applications, but I superstitiously chalk that up to the old Esri apps not being updated to handle Windows 10 and present day display technologies.  Among my oddities are your symptoms.  ArcMap can get distracted from the task at hand with indexing, investigating contents of folders, having extended unnecessary conversations with web services, and such.  I'm assuming these distractions are what it's doing when it's not responding to me.

I do have a spinning disk as secondary storage, and that clicks a little when I access content on it.  If ArcMap is looking at data on local spinning disk storage on your machine, that may be where the weird clicking is coming from.

cheers,

tim

0 Kudos
bilalcelik1
New Contributor

Hi Tim Minter​, thank you for your response. I did not have spinning disk. It was ssd. So i thought it is weird. I was using arcmap in my macbook with windows 10, I did not experience any of those problems. I dont know why Dell precision is having problem. It's specifications were much better than my macbook.

Anyway, I returned Dell, gonna go back to macbook.

Thank you

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

spec built machines versus the shelf machines from a reputable shop is the way I have gone for years...never had any problems and they have been on par pricewise and superior performance wise.  There is nothing better than unleashing someone with a budget to assemble the dream machine

CattyannCampbell
Occasional Contributor II

I have practically the same machine as Tim (7710) sans the SSD hard drive and Win 7. AGP 1.3 seems to be working fine on it so far not not working with If 3D files yet. If I had to tweak anything I would switch out my HD for SSD, bump up the RAM to 32 upgrade the OS to Windows 10 and add a graphic amplifier with a Geforce 980X or Titan X (NY dreamin).

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

that's about what I am running except my Geforce is a gtx 970, 32 gig ram (upgrading soon), windows 10 and 2 ssd (one for software, one for data) and a conventional (big as you can get) for backup.  Nothing is slow

JeremyWright
Esri Regular Contributor