There are no appropriate templates

08-15-2019 08:06 AM
CraigHartel
New Contributor II

I am using Pro 2.3.2. I am trying to copy line geometry from one feature class into a new, empty feature class. I successfully select the geometry I wish to copy and when I attempt to copy it into the new feature class, I get the error message that "There are no appropriate templates".

In the Manage Templates pane, there is very definitely a template for the destination feature class. I've even tried deleting and re-creating the template but this does not work.

Always, always "There are no appropriate templates".

I have resorted to working back in 10.6 in order to not be so frustrated by something so simple that won't work. I've referenced thread after thread I've found online about this - I've followed YouTube videos on how to do this everything I can think of and still "There are no appropriate templates".

At this point I see no reason to continue using Pro nor even bothering to transition to fully working in the platform. 

24 Replies
JoeKonczyk
New Contributor

Going from a SQL database into the SDE (another SQL database) and I am having the same issue.  Guess I will do this function in ArcMap.  Thank goodness we have both applications at our Agency.

0 Kudos
RobertHursey
Occasional Contributor II

I am seeing this same message in 3.0.1 after it working for several weeks. This appears to work on feature classes and throwing the error ONLY when trying to copy data from one TABLE to another (the tables have identical structure and as I said, this literally worked last week, just fine).  The data is the same, I am performing the same steps as listed in help documentation, and suddenly it does not work.  The help is very vague on this topic.  I cannot even find where to manage templates.  I am still able to export selections and append to the other table, but otherwise I would be stuck!

0 Kudos
RossButler
New Contributor

SOLVED. I was having this issue too.  For me, there were joins on both the source feature layer and target feature layer for which one layer was not ticked to display in the drawing menu.  Once all layers joined to the source and target layers were turned on to display I no longer received the 'no appropriate templates' message and could paste to the new feature layer.

0 Kudos
JCM229
by
New Contributor

Good Day,

I am using ArcGIS Pro 3.2.2 and I am still experiencing this copy and paste issue.

I initially thought it had something to do with very large datasets, but it seems that this is not the case at all as I have just created two new polygon shapefiles on my c-drive. I added them to a new map view, digitized random shapes and then tried to copy and paste one polygon feature from one to the other. I select the polygon, click copy, then on the paste drop down I choose "Paste Special" and then I get the following error message: "There are no appropriate templates": 

JCM229_0-1708437767889.png

If I keep trying it eventually works. Most of the time I must try up to 10 or more times for it to work. This has to be a bug. This is supposed to be a simple straight forward task that no one should struggle with. It wastes an awful amount of time and is very frustrating. I really hope ESRI seriously investigates this issue.

0 Kudos
SteveLowman1
New Contributor

I have 40 points in a pointzm layer with an Integer64 OBJECTID field and a text 'name' field, which I want to copy and paste into a pointz layer with a lot more fields, but also including those two fields. In ArcPro 3.2.1, I get the "no appropriate templates" issue, clearly quite frustrating. So, just to embarrass the folks at ESRI, I opened the two layers in QGIS, and copied my 40 points, and pasted them to the second layer with no problem at all. Thanks QGIS!