Select to view content in your preferred language

The use of big tourism data

04-07-2022 03:32 AM
SamSmith247
Occasional Contributor

Hello I am quite new to GIS and I have a question regarding the analysis of big data set.

Basically I was trying to download a big data set from ArcGIS hub ("OpenStreetMap Tourist Attractions for Europe" which has 1,387,754 records) but it took forever for the server to create the file for me to download it (I tried downloading multiple times and sometimes it said the file cannot be created or there is API issue, etc.) so I decided to open it directly with ArcMap and ArcGIS Pro in an attempt to export the data with them.

However, error messages kept popping up (or the progress may be stuck at certain %) when I tried clipping (as I actually only need the data within the UK boundary) or when I tried to export the whole data set so I can deal with it locally.

May I ask if this is an unsolvable problem when dealing with huge datasets? 

0 Kudos
12 Replies
SamSmith247
Occasional Contributor

Just tried this but got an empty attribute table again...

Is it because the OSM_Tourism_EU layer is simply too large?

ABishop
MVP Regular Contributor

If you aren't concerned with seeing the individual cities, you could just use the world countries boundaries: 

https://services.arcgis.com/P3ePLMYs2RVChkJx/arcgis/rest/services/WOR_Boundaries_2019/FeatureServer 

Amanda Bishop, GISP
0 Kudos
ABishop
MVP Regular Contributor

I wouldn't say this is the case because I used the same exact feature service that you did for the OSM_Tourism_EU ... only difference is the boundary you are attempting to use.  See my earlier post for a link to the country boundaries feature service. 

Amanda Bishop, GISP
0 Kudos