The field is not nullable with spatially enabled data frame

08-31-2020 09:49 PM
SimonWebster
Occasional Contributor

I have a process where I am making use of spatially enabled data frames, and I wish to drop my dataframe back to a geodatabase (or shapefile). 

What is occuring, however, is that I receive the below error message. It seems as though I am having some difficulty writing to a geodatabase (and shapefile, but that's a known issue with nulls) when my dataframe contains null values. Because I've got 50+ columns, and potentially 500,000+ rows, I do not wish to be replacing nulls. In fact, many of those nulls exist with good reason.

So, Has anyone seen this before? Is there a flag that I've missed in the documentation that will allow any field being written to permit nulls (where it might be set to notnullable by default)?

Error:

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "<string>", line 272, in execute
File "C:\Program Files\ArcGIS\Pro\bin\Python\envs\arcgispro-py3\lib\site-packages\arcgis\features\geo\_accessor.py", line 2074, in to_featureclass
has_m=has_m)
File "C:\Program Files\ArcGIS\Pro\bin\Python\envs\arcgispro-py3\lib\site-packages\arcgis\features\geo\_io\fileops.py", line 688, in to_featureclass
np.apply_along_axis(_insert_row, 1, df[dfcols].values)
File "<__array_function__ internals>", line 6, in apply_along_axis
File "C:\Program Files\ArcGIS\Pro\bin\Python\envs\arcgispro-py3\lib\site-packages\numpy\lib\shape_base.py", line 379, in apply_along_axis
res = asanyarray(func1d(inarr_view[ind0], *args, **kwargs))
File "C:\Program Files\ArcGIS\Pro\bin\Python\envs\arcgispro-py3\lib\site-packages\arcgis\features\geo\_io\fileops.py", line 685, in _insert_row
irows.insertRow(row)
RuntimeError: The field is not nullable. [re_id]
Failed to execute (Tool).

Here's the offending piece of code:

#Create file path variable for the Regional Ecosystem 80th Percentile Fuel Lookup Table
messages.addMessage("Loading RE Fuel data csv to dataframe")
inTableREp = parameters[3].valueAsText
dfRELUT = pd.read_csv(inTableREp)
messages.addMessage("Successfully Read: " + inTableREp)
messages.addMessage(dfRELUT.head())
messages.addMEssage(dfRELUT.dtypes)

#Read Pre-Clear Shapefile
messages.addMessage("Reading PreClear Veg table to spatially enabled dataframe")
dfPreClearVeg = pd.DataFrame.spatial.from_featureclass(tmpPreClearAOI)
messages.addMessage("Successfully Read: " + tmpPreClearAOI)
messages.addMessage(dfPreClearVeg.head())
messages.addMEssage(dfPreClearVeg.dtypes)

#Merge the datframes together
messages.addMessage("Joining PreClear df RE1 with RE Fuel Lookup Table")
left_merged = dfPreClearVeg.join(
dfRELUT.set_index(["RE"]),
lsuffix="",
rsuffix="_lut",
on=["RE1"],
)

messages.addMessage(left_merged.head())
messages.addMessage(left_merged.shape)
messages.addMEssage(left_merged.dtypes)

left_merged.spatial.to_featureclass(location=temp_gdb) #Bombs out here

2 Replies
SimonWebster
Occasional Contributor

The thing that slays me is that ESRIs own example data on the Introduction to Spatially Enabled Dataframes actually has null values in it. 

https://developers.arcgis.com/python/guide/introduction-to-the-spatially-enabled-dataframe/

0 Kudos
Jose_FranciscoSánchez_Díaz1
New Contributor III

Same problem here! Did you find the solution?

0 Kudos