Symbology with more than 200 unique values needed

2 weeks ago
MaxRingler1
New Contributor III

Hello,

this is an ArcMap to ArcGIS Pro transitioning question:

I am studying animal movement and space use in populations of often more than 200 individuals (frogs, salamanders, geckos). In ArcMap there was no problem to symbolize these individuals with unique combinations of 15 symbols and with then randomly assigned background colours, based on their "Individual" field. I do not need to identify individuals from a legend, but I need to be able to distinguish between close individuals in an area. Labels don't do the job for me, as they do not provide immediate visual information which points belong together (to one individual).

I now came to realize that apparently, I cannot create a symbology with more than 200 unique values in ArcGIS Pro - although no error message is shown, additionally added unique values after the 200th are simply discarded when trying to add them or when I try to automatically classify layers with more than 200 unique values. Oddly, when I import my old ArcMap layers with their *.lyr files that contain their old symbology, I readily get more than 200 unique values this way. However, creating these large symbologies via ArcMap is not a sustainable strategy for the future.

How can I keep on symbolizing my layers the way I do since 20 years? Isn't new software supposed to provide improvements over older versions?

Max Ringler
University of Bern

P.S.: Also the process of pre-defining unique values (before points with that values have been created) is now much more cumbersome than in ArcMap. There one could populate a field with values which then were established in one go. Now this requires 3 additional mouse clicks *per value* (open hamburger, add value, select value field, type in /paste values). A workaround is to create dummy points, assing them values in the respective fields, and then automatically add all new values, and then delete these points again - but this is not how a straightforward creation of large symbologies should work. 

Tags (2)
0 Replies