Select to view content in your preferred language

Sheet Specific Text boxes for Map Series Layout

03-10-2022 10:01 AM
LesWarnock
New Contributor

Good Afternoon Everyone, 

I'd like to add some map callouts to individual sheets in a map series layout.  The catch is, I'd like for these callouts (text boxes) to be sheet specific.  AKA the callouts on sheet one do not show up on sheet 2 and vice-versa.  Is there any way to do this in a map series layout?

Thanks in advance!

Les

5 Replies
TomBole
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Les,

Yes, there are ways to do this in a map series. It all depends on what kind text you are working with (layer labels, annotation feature class, or graphic text (map), or graphic text (layout) and the type of map series (spatial or bookmark). Bookmark map series do not support page-driven dynamic text.

If the text are graphic (either inserted in the map view or inserted in the layout view) you will not be able to make these dynamic. Graphic text is currently static and will not change. If the text is an attribute of the map series index layer you can use a Map Series dynamic text element (inserted on the layout). This will change based on the visible page.

If the text is from an annotation layer you might be able to use a page query to specify which annotation text draw - provided that the annotation has field/values that match the index layer driving the map series.

Hope this helps,

Tom

0 Kudos
FredMitchell
Occasional Contributor

@TomBole do you know if this is in the product roadmap or an open enhancement? It would be awesome to be able to set text elements or groups of items in the layout view to only appear on certain pages in a map series the same way you can with map features using page query. I wonder if the product team could simply enable page query or a field in elements in the layout view that lets you set what page it appears on.

0 Kudos
TomBole
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi @FredMitchell 

We currently do not have plans to add Map Series/Element Filtering (based on map series page) this year. This is definitely an interesting idea and one that we would like to get feedback from people like yourself on what the expectations would be.

There is an existing idea you may want to add to - Map Series Page Editing. Feel free to add your comments to this idea, or if you think this idea is not the same, to enter a new one.

Thanks for the feedback, 

Tom

SarahPierce
New Contributor II

I agree, this would be huge to support map series with static text boxes that would only show up on certain pages - I'm currently dealing with this issue on a water system atlas. I have blowup (inset) map frames on several pages that I only want to show up on the associated layout.

Eisele
by
New Contributor II

It would greatly help if this capability will be included in the next release. 

0 Kudos