Select to view content in your preferred language

Sun Shadow Frequency on specific area

04-26-2023 02:27 AM
Mammon72
New Contributor

Hi everyone, I am currently working on a project where I want to calculate the shadow factor of some buildings onto a horizontal street. By shadow factor, I mean the fraction of the street that is covered by shade at some specific time. The tool I am using to estimate the shadow cast by the buildings, I am using the Sun Shadow Frequency tool from the 3D Analyst Toolbox. This works perfectly for the larger area that the buildings are standing on, but I haven't figured out how only calculate the shadows cast on the particular area of the street in between the buildings.

My question is:

How do I create an appropriate raster file that lets me calculate only the shadow on the street that I want to?

Or in other words, how do I create a raster file of that portion of the street, that can be used as the "Ground Surface" raster layer in the Sun Shadow Frequency tool?

In terms of the picture: I have calculated the whole area in green and pink, but in future calculations, I want the red part only.

The reason why I want to only calculate the smaller portion is, that I will need to calculate this for many different instances during the year and I hope to save a lot of computation time by reducing the size of the ground area that has to be taken into account.

Cheers and Thanks in advance for your help.

0 Kudos
1 Reply
HollyTorpey_LSA
Frequent Contributor

I realize this is super late, but did you try creating a polygon for your AOI and then using that to set a processing extent on the Environments tab of the tool?

- Holly
0 Kudos