Summarize Within running but not returning anything

03-30-2021 11:48 AM
Labels (1)
Miguel-Fernandez
Occasional Contributor

I am trying to run the tool Summarize Within (Analysis tool) in ArcGIS Pro 2.7.2. The tool successfully runs but does not return a new layer or table. I can open the Details pane and see that the output locations are correct. But when I look in the project geodatabase, there is nothing there. The data I'm using for the input polygon is a single feature that covers several counties. The input summary features is a polygon layer of census tracts. I am trying to sum several of the attributes and use the group by function to group by county. Both data layers are in the same projection, epsg: 4269. I have been able to run other tools, buffer, intersect, etc and they all return the expected outputs. Has anyone else experienced something similar?

Miguel Fernandez
25 Replies
JayantaPoddar
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Does the Census layer have multipart features? Do a Multipart To Singlepart (Data Management) to check for any difference in the number of feature parts. Use its output instead of the original Census Layer.

Checking and repairing geometries would be one more thing I might try.

Think Location
0 Kudos
Miguel-Fernandez
Occasional Contributor

Hey @JayantaPoddar , I tried both of your suggestions but there is still no output generated from the tool. There were a few new features generated from the multipart to singlepart too. I just ended up using a work around. I created a new attribute in the census data called 'full_tract_area'. I then did an intersect with my polygon layer and the census data. I then calculated new attributes of interest using the proportion of tract in the new layer. For example: 

'carpooled_updated' = ('shape_area' / 'full_tract_area') * 'carpooled_original'

This was a little more manual than I was hoping for. But thanks for all your help on this. I really appreciate it.

Miguel Fernandez
Mary_Murphy
Esri Contributor

Where are the two input layers stored? Are they stored locally or on a shared/network drive?

Excelsior.
0 Kudos
Miguel-Fernandez
Occasional Contributor

@Mary_Murphy both of the input layers are stored locally.

Miguel Fernandez
0 Kudos
Mary_Murphy
Esri Contributor

Awesome - and .shp or feature classes in a .gdb?

Excelsior.
0 Kudos
Miguel-Fernandez
Occasional Contributor

They're both feature classes in the same .gdb

Miguel Fernandez
0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

@Mary_Murphy  I just was having the same issue.  Recently went to ArcPro from 10.x and also recently started working with workflows involving inputs from AGOL.  Hosted feature layers load so seamlessly from AGOL (with a fast internet connection) that I forgot I wasnt working from a gdb.  It was easy to export the feature layer to the project gdb and do the geoprocessing there.  Might warn folks that this tool has issues with hosted feature services though!  Cheers 

0 Kudos
Ofer_Tamir
New Contributor

Hi Miguel,

Just bumped into your post while trying to figure how to solve the exact same problem!

In my case both Layers were originally imported from a CAD feature. However both of them are now features in the project's default gdb. Is it possible that it has to do with the dwg origin of the data?

0 Kudos
Josh-R
by
New Contributor III

Hi,

I am having the exact same issue with both  the  SummarizeWithin and SummarizeNearby tool. Same projection and coordinate system. I also used multipart to singlepart. The code throws no error and does not yield and output.

0 Kudos
sbastias
New Contributor

Hi all,

I am also having the same issue with the SummarizeWithin tool as stated above. I am trying to sum points within watershed polygons, and while the tool runs successfully no output is stored. I am working locally and saving to a .gdb.

Any suggestions? 

0 Kudos