Summarize Within running but not returning anything

03-30-2021 11:48 AM
Labels (1)
Miguel-Fernandez
Occasional Contributor

I am trying to run the tool Summarize Within (Analysis tool) in ArcGIS Pro 2.7.2. The tool successfully runs but does not return a new layer or table. I can open the Details pane and see that the output locations are correct. But when I look in the project geodatabase, there is nothing there. The data I'm using for the input polygon is a single feature that covers several counties. The input summary features is a polygon layer of census tracts. I am trying to sum several of the attributes and use the group by function to group by county. Both data layers are in the same projection, epsg: 4269. I have been able to run other tools, buffer, intersect, etc and they all return the expected outputs. Has anyone else experienced something similar?

Miguel Fernandez
25 Replies
Marie-JoëlleDesgagné
New Contributor III

I'm having the same problem. However, the tool worked perfectly yesterday. I have version 2.8.3. The code throws no error and does not yield an output.

0 Kudos
MagnusIversenFB
New Contributor

I had the same problem. My data was stored on an SQL Server and there was a definition query active on the layer. I was able to circumvent the problem by exporting the features to a feautre class in a gdb, now the tool runs successfully.

0 Kudos
Josh-R
by
New Contributor III

After trying multiple solutions including reinstalling ArcGIS Pro, disabling antivirus, and running things as an administrator; creating  a new user profile in windows fixed the issue for me.

RyanG
by
New Contributor

Same problem here with essentially the same parameters. Really disappointing as the alternative to using this tool is quite tedious.

Edit: It seems the tabular join on the Summary Features was the culprit. Once I exported those features with the necessary attributes and tried Summarize Within again, it worked fine!

AlaynaShamo
New Contributor

This did it!! I could not figure it out and had the same problem. Looks like if you have just added a join you have to export the feature layer and then summarize within. Thanks!

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

I had the same problem when I was using hosted feature service as the summarized layer.  I solved the problem by saving the hosted feature layer as a geodatabase feature class then running the process. 

0 Kudos