Status of attribute field hyperlinks?

Jump to solution
10-19-2017 07:51 AM
CharlesKimmel
New Contributor II

I've been working on a rather large project in ArcMap 10.x. This project involved creating thousands of point features that have associated files with them on a network drive. In the attribute table there is a field that has hyperlinks that will connect the user to a pdf file of the selected feature. Everything works great in ArcMap... However, my organization is starting to move to ArcPro and this particular feature of hyperlinks doesn't appear to be available. I found a discussion (Hyperlinks in ArcGIS Pro ) from 2015 that stated that this item was requested. My question is does anyone know if this feature exists yet in ArcPro or what is it's current status in development or what a possible alternative may be?

Thanks for any advise!

-Charles

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Greg_Mattis
Occasional Contributor II

Charles Kimmel

I have gotten it to work. Here is the documentation: Configure pop-ups—ArcGIS Pro | ArcGIS Desktop. Also one thing is that if it a path to a document stored on a file share then you would need to put as the hyperlink file:\\\{Field}.

You should be aware that there is an issue currently with ArcGIS Pro where it opens PDF's in IE and IE has an issue where if you have Acrobat Pro set as your default PDF handler, it could take up to a minute to load the PDF in IE.

Greg Mattis, GISP
GIS Analyst
City of Visalia

View solution in original post

7 Replies
Greg_Mattis

Charles Kimmel

I have gotten it to work. Here is the documentation: Configure pop-ups—ArcGIS Pro | ArcGIS Desktop. Also one thing is that if it a path to a document stored on a file share then you would need to put as the hyperlink file:\\\{Field}.

You should be aware that there is an issue currently with ArcGIS Pro where it opens PDF's in IE and IE has an issue where if you have Acrobat Pro set as your default PDF handler, it could take up to a minute to load the PDF in IE.

Greg Mattis, GISP
GIS Analyst
City of Visalia
CharlesKimmel
New Contributor II

Greg Mattis

Thanks for helping clarify that process for me! I really just started using ArcGIS Pro this past week and I am trying to learn! I had found the pop-ups documentation but, I could not get them to work. You really helped me out with the file:\\\{Field} info! It is very unfortunate that Pro forces us to open the documents in IE. I didn't notice a time lag at all when opening pdf files however, it would be great if this system worked a little more like ArcMap and open the documents in acrobat reader. Hopefully we will see this change at some point. 

0 Kudos
Greg_Mattis

Charles Kimmel

We here are the City of Visalia have logged 2 enhancement requests. The first is ENH-000107704 which is to Make ArcGIS Pro honor system's default web browser and the second is ENH-000107706 which is to Allow ArcGIS Pro to use the default file handler when clicking hyperlinks to files. For both of these enhancements, the product team has already come back said that those are in the Product Plan. So it will be in there eventually but we just don't know when.

Kory Kramer‌ - Do you think that we could have the documentation updated for the Configure pop-ups—ArcGIS Pro | ArcGIS Desktop to note how to link to a specific file using file:\\\{field}? I haven't seen that in the documentation and I didn't know about it until Support told me. I think that many users would benefit from this knowledge.

Greg Mattis, GISP
GIS Analyst
City of Visalia
0 Kudos
KoryKramer
Esri Community Moderator

Checking in on this.

0 Kudos
KoryKramer
Esri Community Moderator

Greg, I'm not aware of this working - can you show a detailed example of the set up that makes this work in a pop-up?  My understanding is that the functionality is being worked on for inclusion in Pro 2.1.  Share your example as it could help in the meantime, but whether documentation is updated before the functionality is included in the general availability release, I can't be sure.

Thanks

0 Kudos
Greg_Mattis

Hi Kory Kramer‌ in a situation where you have a field that has a UNC path to a document, you can't put in to the hyperlink "{field}" you would have to put in "file:\\\{field}". If however you have a field with a URL the the hyperlink "{field}" will work. This is what our support analyst Scott H. advised in the resolution of Case # 01980942.

Greg Mattis, GISP
GIS Analyst
City of Visalia
0 Kudos
KoryKramer
Esri Community Moderator

Thanks, Greg.  I see the behavior now and I'll share with that team.  Cheers.

0 Kudos