Select to view content in your preferred language

Standalone table to Shapefile

Jump to solution
10-24-2022 02:04 PM
SarahRadel
New Contributor III

Good evening, I have ran into a brick wall trying to figure out how I can convert my standalone table to a shapefile.  I am working with NLCD data and have made some calculations in excel.  I imported my excel to table and I need for the standalone table to become a shapefile.  My files do not have x/y just coord.  I am hoping someone has the answer to help me convert this standalone table to a shapefile.  

Thank you so much in advance. 

0 Kudos
2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
DanLee
by Esri Regular Contributor
Esri Regular Contributor

This table, USA NLCD Land Cover, is very different from the csv you shared.  This looks like a polygon feature class, probably converted from imagery/raster. It has the Shape field, showing "Polygon" type; and it has a Shape_Length field. Perhaps it has a Shape_Area field as well.

The CenterX and CenterY values you have are not long/lat but likely projected coordinates (in meters or ft). When you use Display XY (or actually the Table XY To Points tool), the default for Coordinate System is a GCS (geographic coordinate system), which takes the input xy values as long/lat (in decimal degrees). 

DanLee_0-1666656281343.png

You need to find out what projected coordinate values are in the CenterX and CenterY fields and specify that projected coordinate system (PCS) to run the Display XY tool.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
DanLee
Esri Regular Contributor

Yes, you can change your Map - Properties - Coordinate System.  Or you can project your data to a desired projection using the Project tool.

https://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/latest/tool-reference/data-management/project.htm

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
16 Replies
DanLee
Esri Regular Contributor

Are they supposed to be polygons? So you have lat/long of the vertices and polygon IDs? 

0 Kudos
SarahRadel
New Contributor III

They are supposed to be thematic

0 Kudos
DanLee
Esri Regular Contributor

Can you share a sample data or show a screenshot of the table?

0 Kudos
SarahRadel
New Contributor III

Absolutely!  Thank you so much for helping me.

0 Kudos
DanLee
Esri Regular Contributor

The csv contains only one row. I don't see any coordinates. Are the coordinates missing from the table? Without coordinates it's impossible to make it a shape.

DanLee_0-1666652182058.png

0 Kudos
SarahRadel
New Contributor III

I am using nlcd imagery

SarahRadel_0-1666652785588.png

0 Kudos
SarahRadel
New Contributor III

So, I copied the center x and center y for the last and added it to my table and then did a display x/y and it did not keep my data 😞

SarahRadel_0-1666653895475.png

0 Kudos
DanLee
Esri Regular Contributor

This table, USA NLCD Land Cover, is very different from the csv you shared.  This looks like a polygon feature class, probably converted from imagery/raster. It has the Shape field, showing "Polygon" type; and it has a Shape_Length field. Perhaps it has a Shape_Area field as well.

The CenterX and CenterY values you have are not long/lat but likely projected coordinates (in meters or ft). When you use Display XY (or actually the Table XY To Points tool), the default for Coordinate System is a GCS (geographic coordinate system), which takes the input xy values as long/lat (in decimal degrees). 

DanLee_0-1666656281343.png

You need to find out what projected coordinate values are in the CenterX and CenterY fields and specify that projected coordinate system (PCS) to run the Display XY tool.

0 Kudos
SarahRadel
New Contributor III

I see that it is projected in North America Albers Equal Area Conic in meters.  I'm going to give it try. Fingers crossed!

0 Kudos