Select to view content in your preferred language

Split failed. Geometry must intersect polylines and polygons in two or more places. Unable to obtain primary key value for origin object"

04-21-2023 01:06 PM
VanessaSimps
Frequent Contributor

Hello-

we seem to be getting this error off and on during editing. I can't figure out why sometimes the split tool will work just fine and other times it will throw this error. I can edit the polygons using vertices, and even use the reshape tool, but split throws this at me. I usually have to go in and unregister it as versioned, check all the topology and do a few other things and then it will work for awhile, but ultimately comes back to this error message. Any ideas? I can't find anything out here on why this might occur. 

"Split failed. Geometry must intersect polylines and polygons in two or more places. Unable to obtain primary key value for origin object"

I switched to Allow Splitting with out a selection and now I get this:

"Splitting features failed.
The table is not multiversioned."

• We are working with versioned data in a sql database. (traditional versioning, not branch).
  • Editing a polygon.
  • editing attributes works fine.
  • Editing vertices works fine,
  • editing with the reshape tool works fine.  
  • relationship classes are present
  • only one feature is selected

any ideas? 

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Scott_Harris
Esri Regular Contributor

@VanessaSimps 

Just going by the error, it could have something to do with the relationship class, which can have their own Split Policy. Look into how the relationship class is modeled and make sure the database user has the proper permissions to edit the table/feature class that is part of the relationship class.

Since it's not happening on every split, is there a pattern? Example: A feature that is failing to split has a related record, and a feature that successfully splits does not have a related record?

If you can't figure it out, please consider contacting Esri Technical Support for assistance.

0 Kudos
VanessaSimps
Frequent Contributor

Thank you for the reply Scott. I will do some testing this morning with the relationships created or not created. I think you are right that it might have something to do with that. I will double check again that the permission are all set up correctly for those related tables- I did think of that as a possibility as well, so it's good to know I was snooping down the right path! 

I will report back here if I find a solution.

Thank you again for the response,

Vanessa

VanessaSimps
Frequent Contributor

Confirmed that having the relationship class removed allows for the split to work as intended. We don't edit this polygon that often, so for now my work around will be to remove the relationships prior to editing, and then recreate the relationships once I am done. 

Doing some reading- I think this is what the error is that I am seeing: 

VanessaSimps_0-1682357139747.png

This is a tad frustrating, but we can work around for now. Hopefully, once we upgrade, we can use the delete/insert/insert model and this won't be an issue anymore.