Select to view content in your preferred language

Split AGOL hosted feature layer polygon/polyline in ArcGIS Pro - Error

Jump to solution
Wednesday
kmsmikrud
Regular Contributor

Hi,

Could someone confirm on whether it is possible to split an AGOL hosted feature layer polygon or polyline in ArcGIS Pro?

When I use the Split tool in ArcGIS Pro I am getting the following error: "Split failed. Geometry must intersect polylines and polygons in two or more places. General function failure [Error code: 1000. Description: Data is Null. This method or property cannot be called on Null  vallues..].

I am using the interactive option in the ArcGIS Pro split tool but repeatedly getting the above error and not sure what data is null that it is referring to. Any ideas?

thanks in advance!

Kathy

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DanielFox1
Esri Contributor

HI @AaronGlanville 

There has been a bug logged for this issue and it is being looked at the moment. 

View solution in original post

13 Replies
Laura
by MVP Regular Contributor
MVP Regular Contributor

I have brought in a map from AGOL to Pro and used the split tool on a polygon multiple times and it has worked fine. I currently use Pro 3.3.1 but have done this same procedure on an earlier version. The last day it worked was Monday 8/5. Now also not working for me. 

Is there a relationship class? In a similar post that was posted as an issue https://community.esri.com/t5/arcgis-pro-questions/split-failed-geometry-must-intersect-polylines-an...

0 Kudos
kmsmikrud
Regular Contributor

Thank-you and so glad to know it works. A coworker said they have been using the split tool on a AGOL hosted layer for awhile now but noticed today it was throwing an error. I also tried another hosted AGOL layer and received the same error. Both of those layers are stand-alone/participating in no relationships. I'm using Pro 3.2.2.

0 Kudos
RhettZufelt
MVP Notable Contributor

I just tested with Pro 3.1.3, and 3.2.1 and both give me the same error message you got if I try to split a polygon with Pro, and fails to split it.  I can edit vertices, reshape, merge, etc. but can NOT split them.

Thought maybe it is because there is no split policy on the fields in HFS so I tried with a polygon with one field and a default value ( so the split attribute wasn't null ).  This failed also.

R_

0 Kudos
kmsmikrud
Regular Contributor

Thank-you so much for testing in Pro with the different versions. We do use editing like you mentioned with reshape, vertices, merge which should mean the split should work too then?

Thanks so much for your time and I still don't understand that error with the null data.

0 Kudos
RhettZufelt
MVP Notable Contributor

Suspect it has something to do with the split policy on the service.  This post covers some of it, though I didn't have success modifying the json.

Maybe later I can figure it out when I have time.

R_

0 Kudos
SYSMANOFFICE
New Contributor II

I have the same problem.
I don't think it's a policy problem because it worked until 2 days ago. Before loading the GDB and making it a hosted feature layer I set the split and merge policies.
With the same database locally the split command works.

0 Kudos
AARSCUNE
New Contributor II

We are getting the same experience as Kathy above. Tested in Pro across two hosted feature services (AGOL), on different machines (and users), with Pro 3.3.1 and 3.3.0.

Same result, split polygon no worky... error 1000. 

Worked fine earlier this week.... what's changed?

0 Kudos
SYSMANOFFICE
New Contributor II

I have the same problem.
But the problem is only on feature layer hosted, on all shapes of all line and polygon layers.
With the same database locally the split command works.

0 Kudos
DanielFox1
Esri Contributor

A workaround would be to use the Web App builder edit tool or the Web Editor Application. Alternatively if you take the data onto your local drive edit and re-upload this should work.