Spatial join with overlapping polygons

06-06-2022 05:06 PM
Labels (3)
YaelNidam
New Contributor

Hi I'm using ArcGIS Pro and I am trying to figure out how to assign the attributes of several overlapping polygons in one layer, to a set of polygons within them in another layer.

This will be easier to understand with the example of the two layers I am trying to analyze:

Layer one:  Visualized with a black frame in the image below. These polygons are overlapping and nested in one layer. Each polygon represents the service area for an electric utility. Some areas are covered by more than one utility and therefore are overlapping.

Layer 2: Visualized in yellow color and a gray stroke. These are the census tract polygons and they are not overlapping.

My goal is to identify for each census tract (polygon in layer two), all electric utilities providing service. In other words - all polygons from layer 1 that contain it, and then add their properties each census tract.

If I didn't have overlapping polygons in layer 1, I could have achieved this with a spatial join. But since I do have an overlap I'm seeking your advice in figuring out how to do this analysis.

Is there a way to re-create layer one (utility service area) so that it doesn't contain overlaps but maintains all the information about overlapping coverage area?

Is there a way to do spatial join with overlapping polygons?

What other things should I try?

Many thanks!

YaelNidam_0-1654559485012.png

0 Kudos
10 Replies
RhettZufelt
MVP Frequent Contributor

I think the issue is with the join operation.  One to many will match many polygons.  We want just one polygon, but all the attributes from the other (per single polygon).

Starting Polygons (black outline) showing attributes:

RhettZufelt_1-1654712758660.png

Attribute table from shaded polys with values as Text (can't join on numeric field):

RhettZufelt_3-1654712911399.png

Setting of GP tool:

RhettZufelt_2-1654712773902.png

Joined dataset attributes with id from overlapping polys appended together with comma separation:

RhettZufelt_4-1654712968593.png

R_

0 Kudos